[comp.dcom.telecom] Apple-Cat Modem: Quite a Hacker's Toy

lazlo%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (12/28/90)

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:

> The old Apple-Cat modems can also be used to connect to TTY machines.
> Also to TDD machines.

> [Moderator's Note: Do you mean they had a switch-selectable setting
> allowing them to work both ways?  I had one and don't remember it.  PAT]

The Apple-Cat (I take umbrage to their being called "old", because as I
type this I'm using one with a Bell 212 (1200 baud) upgrade board
attached :-) could/can handle the following baud rates, as listed in
the manual:

	50/75 baud -- for, as they call it, "very low speed communication"
	110 or 150 baud -- "TWX or TELEX transmissions"
	300 baud -- the old standby, Bell 103
	1200 baud -- in half-duplex Bell 202 mode . . . which a lot of
		folks actually wrote software to handle; it wasn't much
		fun for calling boards with, even when they supported it,
		but it was just fine for 1200 baud transfers.  Anyone
		remember Cat-Fur?
	45.5 baud -- "communications with the deaf network"; this last
		required a "simple, no-charge hardware modification" from
		the factory, probably a trace cut on the board.

All these modes were supported right out of the box (except the latter
which required the hardware modification and special software that was
free but not supplied automatically when you bought the modem) and
were switchable from software.

In addition to the 212 upgrade board, you could also get an expansion
module that added an RS-232 connector, a BSR interface, and
input/output/remote control jacks for a cassette recorder; a firmware
ROM that let the modem be easily controlled from BASIC, a BSR
transformer for the expansion module, and an IC that added touchtone
decoding.  There were pins on the expansion port I/O connector that
allowed for a speech synthesizer interface but I don't think it was
ever developed, though I have some underground software that takes
advantage of the onboard DAC to produce synthesized speech from
software (as well as music, phone-related sounds and tones, and other
esoterica).

Quite a hacker's toy.

Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)

gabe@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu (Gabe Wiener) (12/31/90)

In article <15707@accuvax.nwu.edu> lazlo%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu
(Lazlo Nibble) writes:

>	45.5 baud -- "communications with the deaf network"; this last
>		required a "simple, no-charge hardware modification" from
>		the factory, probably a trace cut on the board.

The later models didn't even need a hardware mod to run TDD.  You just
popped it out of the box, shoved it into slot 2, and ran the "Deaf
Term" software that Novation included on the utilities disk.

THe Apple-Cat II had only one real problem, and that is it had so much
stuff packed onto one board that it used to overheat a lot.  Many
people (including myself) used to run their machines with the cover
off in order to protect the modem from blowing.

The modem in its fullest configuration had TWO cards, the second being
for 212 mode.  You could install the second card in a slot, or you
could run it in Slot Saver position.  Since the only thing the 212
card needed from the slot was electrical power, and since the slots on
the II were a high commodity, novation developed a nifty little trick
that let you mount the card on the flat surface of the power supply
(with special clips and an adhesive board, and then get the power
through a special Y-connector that'd intercept the power before it got
to the motherboard.

I'm only sorry no one makes something as good as the Apple Cat II in a
standalone serial configuration.  It really was a gem of a modem in
every way.  It had touchtone dialing (in those days, a very unique
feature), touchtone decoding (with one $30 chip added), an X-10
controller, a voice handset that was fully programmable, and best of
all, a D/A converter chip on board that could work wonders.  I had
software for mine that could synthesize eight-voice music, male and
female voices with great text-to-speech, and of course, all the TSPS
tones, 2600 Hz, payphone coin tones, etc.  The phreaks loved it.  I
miss it, though, because of its great answering machine capabilities.
Heck, people were writing automated telephone info services on those
things back in 1983!.

Oh well.  I wish I still had mine, but since I don't have an Apple II
anymore, it wouldn't do me much good!

Gabe Wiener - Columbia Univ.   gabe@ctr.columbia.edu
gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu    72355.1226@compuserve.com