[comp.dcom.telecom] Speaking of Cheshire Catalyst

fec@whutt.att.com (F E Carey) (12/27/90)

>>Are these guys still around? Haven't heard of them in a *long* time...

>TAP died in 1981 when Cheshire Catalyst squandered the precious few $$
>remaining in the TAP account.  He was finally evicted from his apt. on

I spotted the Cheshire Cat at one of the Computer Security Institute
Conferences in Chicago in the mid-eighties - either '84 or '85.  He'd
gotten in with a press pass (whose - unknown), was fairly well groomed
(haircut), and seemed to be keeping a low profile.

rkh@mtune.att.com (Robert Halloran) (12/31/90)

In article <15704@accuvax.nwu.edu> fec@whutt.att.com (F E Carey)
writes:

>I spotted the Cheshire Cat at one of the Computer Security Institute
>Conferences in Chicago in the mid-eighties - either '84 or '85.  He'd
>gotten in with a press pass (whose - unknown), was fairly well groomed
>(haircut), and seemed to be keeping a low profile.

My recollection was that Cheshire applies for press credentials to
these sorts of things using the name of the press bureau from the old
Darrin McGavin KOLCHAK:THE NIGHT STALKER series (Independent World
News?); the PR types weren't in the habit of checking up on this.
Last I'd heard, he'd gotten out of bit-pushing and was doing something
fairly mundane somewhere in Florida.  He's been keeping a VERY low
profile the last few years.

Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com	UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.