[comp.dcom.telecom] Apple-Cat Modem and TDD

rhyre@cinoss1.ATT.COM (Ralph W. Hyre) (12/30/90)

In article <15513@accuvax.nwu.edu> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark
Steiger) writes:

>The old Apple-Cat modems can also be used to connect to TTY machines.
>Also to TDD machines.

>[Moderator's Note: Do you mean they had a switch-selectable setting
>allowing them to work both ways?  I had one and don't remember it.  PAT]

No, they had a multiprotocol modem chip that could handle various FSK
and PSK frequencies (Bell 103, 202, several CCIT frequencies and the
'Weitbrecht' modem at 45.5 bps for TDD using Baudot coding (supported
by ASCII Express Pro and Novation's firmware ROM chip.)  An add-on
card supported Bell 212.

The Apple-Cat was a neat modem, you could run a crude voice-mail
system on it and build an answering machine surpassing anything
available commercially at the time.  I heard rumors (on Telecom, in
fact) that the manufacturer was sued by AT&T because of the fraud
potential.  (And perhaps because they heard that John Draper, aka
Captain Crunch, designed it) The modem had an on-board D/A converter
for touch-tone generation and voice synthesis, and some folks wrote
programs to generate 2600hz and other signalling frequencies, TSPS
being the most infamous.  It even had menu items for 'Quarter',
'Dime', and 'Nickel'.

Ralph Hyre,    soon to be  +1 513 575 4972 tdd/45.5/300/1200/2400
               later 4800/9600/fax

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (01/02/91)

In article <15706@accuvax.nwu.edu> rhyre@cinoss1.ATT.COM (Ralph W.
Hyre) writes:

>The Apple-Cat was a neat modem, you could run a crude voice-mail
>system on it and build an answering machine surpassing anything
>available commercially at the time.  I heard rumors (on Telecom, in
>fact) that the manufacturer was sued by AT&T because of the fraud
>potential.  (And perhaps because they heard that John Draper, aka
>Captain Crunch, designed it) The modem had an on-board D/A converter
>for touch-tone generation and voice synthesis, and some folks wrote
>programs to generate 2600hz and other signalling frequencies, TSPS
>being the most infamous.  It even had menu items for 'Quarter',
>'Dime', and 'Nickel'.

I'm confused about something here:

In Steven Levy's excellent book "Hackers," on p. 271, there is mention
of the modem (essentially a complete blue-box-on-a-card) that Draper
designed for Apple (note that the Apple Cat II was a Novation
product). It appears that Apple never actually marketed the board.
Chris Espinosa is quoted in the book as saying "When Mike Scott [of
Apple] discovered what [Draper's board] could do, he axed the project
instantly. It was much too dangerous to put out in the world for
anyone to have."

Did Draper also design the Apple Cat II (after Apple axed his earlier
project)? BTW, I saw a message from the Captain on the net (perhaps
even c.d.t) several months back - perhaps we can get the answer to
this question direct from the source ;-)

Scott Coleman   tmkk@uiuc.edu

[Moderator's Note: Mr. Draper has written notes to the Digest in the
past. Perhaps he will see this and respond either to you or the entire
readership.  PAT]