  Date: 25 Aug 1981 0135-EDT
  From: JSOL
  Subject: TELECOM Digest V1 #1
  To: Telecom: ;

TELECOM AM Digest 	Tuesday, 24 Aug 1981       Volume 1 : Issue 1

Today's Topics:     Administrivia - Welcome Aboard
	 	   USRNET - Alternative to A. T. & T.
	       Problems with Dimension - One Persons Views

Date: 24 Aug 1981 0118-EDT
From: the Moderator <JSol at Rutgers>
Subject: Administrivia

Welcome to TELECOM. This digest is a spinoff from the HUMAN-NETS
discussion on the telephone network and switching equipment.  Parts of
this digest are in fact submissions to HUMAN-NETS which were never
published, and are presented here to spark the discussion.

The archive for this is in the usual place, DUFFEY;_DATA_ TELCOM at
MIT-AI, and we will shortly be adding to the archive the discussions
that have taken place in HUMAN-NETS relating to telecommunications.

I will be moderating this list from Rutgers, as I do with POLI-SCI,
but you can still send mail to TELECOM@MIT-AI, or TELECOM@RUTGERS.
If you want to communicate with the maintainers then you should
send mail to TELECOM-REQUEST@MIT-AI, or TELECOM-REQUEST@RUTGERS.

Enjoy,
JSol

                 ---------------------------

Jon Solomon was of course the Moderator here for several years, until
the summer of 1988. He published the Digest using the facilities at
his places of employment including Rutgers and Boston University.
Although I am not employed by Northwestern University, the staff of
the Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences Department there has
always been very gracious to me and generous with their facilities. A
word of thanks is due at the end of another year to Bill LeFebvre for
accomodating my accounts -- and heavy volume of traffic! -- at his
site. Thanks also go to Mary Riendeau at Boston University for
continuing to provide a backup site for comp.dcom.telecom as needed
and Mike Patton at MIT for providing space for the Telecom Archives.

Have a happy new year!

Patrick Townson

KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard Budd) (01/01/91)

TELECOM Moderator (Pat Townson) writes in Telecom Digest #908

>Another year is finished ... and the decade of the eighties is ending.

My solution to the dilemma of when decades and centuries is
semantical.  The 1980's obviously refer to the years 1980-1989 as the
1990's will be the years 1990-1999.  However, as Pat and others point
out, the Year of Our Lord began with the Year One, not the Year Zero;
ergo the 21st Century begins on January 1, 2001 (Arthur B. Clarke had
it right when he wrote 2001).  The 199th Decade ends tonight, December
31, 1990 and the 200th Decade begins tomorrow, January 1, 1991.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and Decade,

Richard Budd   klub@maristb.bitnet   Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY

yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com (Bob Yazz) (01/03/91)

In a few more years when the millenium turns over (watch out for
"Millenium Madness" as the fateful date approaches), I venture to
predict that there will be two camps:

     The Arthur C. Clarke camp (_2001: A Space Odessy_)

     The Prince camp (_1999_).

Who is right?  The Arthur C. Clarke people.

Who will have the biggest parties?  The Prince people.

The thought of the the 2001 people telling the 1999 people that the
"big event" won't happen for another year brings to mind Pee Wee
Herman scolding the bikers in the biker bar "Could you puh-LEAZE keep
it down, I'm TRY-ing to use the phone!"

   Bob Yazz --  yazz@lccsd.sd.locus.com