[comp.dcom.telecom] Wireless Phone Jacks

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (01/05/91)

  The latest issue of the DaMark catalog has a pair of "wireless phone
jacks" by PHONEX. Actually they use household wiring. Does anyone know
anything about the reliability of these things, their safety when used
with faxes, modems, and other electronic phone equipment, and how much
noise they can be expected to introduce into the call ?

Jeff Sicherman

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (01/07/91)

In article <15796@accuvax.nwu.edu>, JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet writes:

>   The latest issue of the DaMark catalog has a pair of "wireless phone
> jacks" by PHONEX. Actually they use household wiring. Does anyone know
> anything about the reliability of these things, their safety when used
> with faxes, modems, and other electronic phone equipment, and how much
> noise they can be expected to introduce into the call ?

Jeff identifies some valid concerns about these devices.  I would like
to add another: security.  For some years, there has been home
intercom and lighting-control equipment on the market that uses
low-level RF to send audio or signaling information over your power
lines.  The RF signal used by these devices is conducted primarily by
the power wire.  There is also some radiation of this signal into the
air.  A nearby receiver, even if not connected directly to the power
line, can probably intercept the information.  A nearby transmitter,
perhaps part of another, similar, system can radiate into the power
line, and thereby interfere with the system.

The RF is mostly blocked by the step-down transformer that feeds your
house.  If there are several houses fed from the same transformer (as
is usually the case) these systems can easily communicate between
these nearby houses.  For this reason, there are a dozen or so
channels available.  Neighbors must reach an agreement on who uses
which channels.

In a large appartment building, there is typically a large transformer
feeding the entire building.  There are probably more appartments on
each phase of the local power than there are available channels.  The
likelyhood of interference, or of deliberate eaves-dropping, is very
high.  I would recommend against using RF unless it is truly
necessary, and then I would recommend caution in what you transmit!

Dave Levenson	      Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.	      UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA	      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900   Fax: 908 647 6857