[comp.dcom.telecom] Questions About the GTE Airfone

veeneman@mot.com (Dan Veeneman) (11/28/90)

I just got back from a long weekend trip to Baltimore, and during a
delay due to "mechanical problems" I got a chance to peek at the GTE
Airfones that were built into the headrest of the center seats of each
row.  Inserting a credit card into a vertical slot released the phone,
which was tied to the headrest by a short (two or three foot) cord.
Sliding a credit card along the right edge of the handset would, after
a short time, give you the opportunity to place your call.  (I only
got a chance to observe, as the phone in my row was non-functional,
much to the disappointment of the guy next to me).

  Hopefully someone out there will have the answers to these questions:

1.  How is the credit card verified ?  Are they all stored on board
and downloaded after the airplane lands, or is it real-time ?

2.  What happens if everyone wanted to place a call at the same time?
On the jet I was on, that would be 56 phones in use at the same time.
Quite a multiplexer/transceiver, if that's how it's done.

3.  How is frequency assignment done for numerous planes in the same
local area (i.e. 20 planes backed up, waiting for takeoff at O'Hare)?

4.  Has anyone tried a ringback or number announcement from the phone
?  I know the phones aren't capable of actually receiving a call or
ringing, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

5.  Is there a nationwide cellular-like network for these phones, i.e.
the ground station hands off the call(s) to the next station when the
plane leaves the service area ?

Any further information would be appreciated.

Dan      veeneman@Mot.Com

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 29-Nov-1990 1017) (11/30/90)

>1.  How is the credit card verified ?  Are they all stored on board
>and downloaded after the airplane lands, or is it real-time ?

I'm 99% sure it's real-time, done during call setup.

>2.  What happens if everyone wanted to place a call at the same time?
>On the jet I was on, that would be 56 phones in use at the same time.
>Quite a multiplexer/transceiver, if that's how it's done.

Only a small number of phones can be in use at one time.  Other
callers will get a recording telling them "Please wait for the dial
tone."

>3.  How is frequency assignment done for numerous planes in the same
>local area (i.e. 20 planes backed up, waiting for takeoff at O'Hare)?

Similar to land-based cellular phones.  However, Airfone is not
supposed to work on the ground.  There may be airports close enough to
airfone cell sites that it works at some of them, but it is an
"in-flight" service.

>4.  Has anyone tried a ringback or number announcement from the phone
>?  I know the phones aren't capable of actually receiving a call or
>ringing, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

Those sort of numbers are blocked.  The phone accepts only
NPA-NXX-XXXX or 011+CC+...

>5.  Is there a nationwide cellular-like network for these phones, i.e.
>the ground station hands off the call(s) to the next station when the
>plane leaves the service area ?

There is a nationwide network, but there is no hand-off.

john

gt6392b@prism.gatech.edu (Fish Dude) (12/04/90)

In article <15124@accuvax.nwu.edu> covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R.
Covert 29-Nov-1990 1017) writes:

>>4.  Has anyone tried a ringback or number announcement from the phone
>>?  I know the phones aren't capable of actually receiving a call or
>>ringing, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

>Those sort of numbers are blocked.  The phone accepts only
>NPA-NXX-XXXX or 011+CC+...

What about 1-800 numbers?  What will an ANI display show as the orgin
of the call?

As Always,

Mark D. Fisher   (404) 352 1452
GT Box 36392, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
gt6392b@prism.gatech.edu

seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com (Sean) (12/05/90)

> 1.  How is the credit card verified ?  Are they all stored on board
> and downloaded after the airplane lands, or is it real-time ?

  Dan-

    When you insert your credit card, the information (number, exp.
date, etc. ) is sent via 300 baud signal to a ground station. (REAL
TIME). The ground station then confirms or denys usage, and proceeds
from there.  Actually, the handset is not released until then card is
approved.

> 2.  What happens if everyone wanted to place a call at the same time?
> On the jet I was on, that would be 56 phones in use at the same time.
> Quite a multiplexer/transceiver, if that's how it's done.

 The transmitter section of the setup is IMPRESSIVE. Everyone could
concievably use thier phone at the same time, as there are 400
channels available for use. This concept applies only, however, to one
ground station. There are 80 ground stations in the U.S., though.

> 3.  How is frequency assignment done for numerous planes in the same
> local area (i.e. 20 planes backed up, waiting for takeoff at O'Hare)?

Frequency assignment goes something like this:

     894 - 896 MHz (5 KHz spacing). Assignment is done in the same
     manner as cellular. It picks an available frequency from what the
     ground station tells it. AM mode is used for modulation.

> 4.  Has anyone tried a ringback or number announcement from the phone
> ?  I know the phones aren't capable of actually receiving a call or
> ringing, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

This would give the same result as doing it from any other phone, as
in the end, you are connected with the P.S.T.N.

> 5.  Is there a nationwide cellular-like network for these phones, i.e.
> the ground station hands off the call(s) to the next station when the
> plane leaves the service area ?

You are absolutley correct. Handing off and signal comparison is done
in much the same way. Really, however, you would have to talk for
quite a while in order to leave a service area. Consider transmitting
with high power, at 35,000 feet. Most planes out of Philadelphia can
hit Atlanta radio right after takeoff, with good/excellent quality.

Hope this helps.

Sean Petty
INTERNET: seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com
UUCP:     ...{rutgers|uunet|etc..}!cbmvax!amix!undrground!seanp

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (12/07/90)

In article <15223@accuvax.nwu.edu>,  seanp%undrground@amix.
commodore.com (Sean) writes:

>The transmitter section of the setup is IMPRESSIVE. Everyone could
>concievably use thier phone at the same time, as there are 400
>channels available for use.

I doubt very much that the airplane is able to transmit on 400
channels, or even 56 channels, at once.

>894 - 896 MHz (5 KHz spacing). Assignment is done in the same
>manner as cellular. It picks an available frequency from what the
>ground station tells it. AM mode is used for modulation.

AM on 5KHz spacing?  Are you sure?  I would guess companded SSB, just
based on the age of the system, but I don't know.

We have now had one person claim that there is no hand-off, and
another claim that there is.  What's the real story?  Airfone
pre-dates cellular, right?

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (12/08/90)

com (Sean) writes:

> When you insert your credit card, the information (number, exp.
> date, etc. ) is sent via 300 baud signal to a ground station. (REAL
> TIME). The ground station then confirms or denys usage, and proceeds
> from there.  Actually, the handset is not released until then card is
> approved.

Is the data encrypted? It sounds like a massive security leak,
broadcasting sensitive information about a card like that. I know all
the arguments about privacy, not listening to certain frequencies,
etc., but a credit card pirate with an all-band receiver isn't going
to be "nice" about it.

>      894 - 896 MHz (5 KHz spacing). Assignment is done in the same
>      manner as cellular. It picks an available frequency from what the
>      ground station tells it. AM mode is used for modulation.

This is different from what I've heard. Popular Electronics has a
scanner column, and reported several 470 MHz band frequencies where
you can pick up air phone calls. I've found some there.

Kevin A. Mitchell       (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc         Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP
441 W. Huron            UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!kam
Chicago, IL  60610      FAX: (312) 266-4473

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) (12/11/90)

Additional Musings on the GTE Airfone.

According to the original post, it sends your credit card info at
300 baud somewhere for verification.

Additionally, it transmits calls between 894MHz and 896 MHz (5kHz
spacing).

Does this mean that anyone with a scanner and a modem can grab
hundreds of credit card numbers, expiration dates, ...

Or is the card info encoded before transmission?

Pat

seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com (Sean) (12/11/90)

> >The transmitter section of the setup is IMPRESSIVE. Everyone could
> >concievably use thier phone at the same time, as there are 400
> >channels available for use.

> I doubt very much that the airplane is able to transmit on 400
> channels, or even 56 channels, at once.

If they weren't able to do it, then they would limit the number of
phones that were placed aboard the plane. If, however, four planes on
the same runway all tried to use all of thier phones, a SERVICE
UNAVAILABLE message would be generated, much like cellular.

> >894 - 896 MHz (5 KHz spacing). Assignment is done in the same
> >manner as cellular. It picks an available frequency from what the
> >ground station tells it. AM mode is used for modulation.

> AM on 5KHz spacing?  Are you sure?  I would guess companded SSB, just
> based on the age of the system, but I don't know.

Yes, AM is used on the following ranges (Newer AIRFONES use 6 KHz space)
     849 to 851
     894 to 896
     899 to 901
and  944 to 946

And, for future reference, it is COMPANDORED. As in, AMPLITUDE
COMPANDORED SINGLE SIDEBAND. Really, this technology would be
unrealistic for air use. With the ever changing conditions, ACSSB
would be extremely difficult to maintain a tuned carrier. This was the
case when United Parcel Service considered implementing ACSSB. The
company selling them the radios concluded that that technology would
require too much operator control and tuning, thus requiring more
in-depth training about the radios. And this was for GROUND use, AIR
is even worse.

> > When you insert your credit card, the information (number, exp.
> > date, etc. ) is sent via 300 baud signal to a ground station. (REAL
> > TIME). The ground station then confirms or denys usage, and proceeds
> > from there.  Actually, the handset is not released until then card is
> > approved.

> Is the data encrypted? It sounds like a massive security leak,
> broadcasting sensitive information about a card like that. I know all

> > 894 - 896 MHz (5 KHz spacing). Assignment is done in the same
> > manner as cellular. It picks an available frequency from what the
> > ground station tells it. AM mode is used for modulation.

I never attempted to decipher it. I would imagine it should be, but
stranger things have happened!

> scanner column, and reported several 470 MHz band frequencies where
> you can pick up air phone calls. I've found some there.

I have yet to hear of AIRFONE signals in that band. Perhaps you are
thinking of the 415.7 MHz frequency for government VIPS? If not, tell me
what frequencies and modes, please.

Sean

carroll@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (12/19/90)

In article <15300@accuvax.nwu.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees)
writes:

>In article <15223@accuvax.nwu.edu>,  seanp%undrground@amix.
>commodore.com (Sean) writes:

>>The transmitter section of the setup is IMPRESSIVE. Everyone could
>>concievably use thier phone at the same time, as there are 400
>>channels available for use.

>I doubt very much that the airplane is able to transmit on 400
>channels, or even 56 channels, at once.

	I would also doubt that you could operate 400, or even 56,
independent radio channels from the same bird. Even doing 25 (as we
have on AWACS) results in horrendous self-jamming and elaborate
frequency allocation software, not to mention hundreds if not
thousands of pounds of antenna couplers.

	On the other hand, a recent conversation with the manager
responsible for integrating the equivalent of AirFone into our next
generation airplane left me with the impression that there was quite a
big chunk of bandwidth required. One obvious solution would be an
onboard DS1 mux which performs upconversion at its output to an IF
frequency of the UHF set (most likely 70 MHz). I don't know whether
such a beast exists today, but I doubt that that's what is used in
most AirFone installations (i.e. one phone in the back of the plane).

Jeff Carroll
carroll@atc.boeing.com

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (12/20/90)

In <15520@accuvax.nwu.edu> bcsaic!carroll@cs.washington.edu (Jeff
Carroll) writes:

>	I would also doubt that you could operate 400, or even 56,
>independent radio channels from the same bird. Even doing 25 (as we
>have on AWACS) results in horrendous self-jamming and elaborate
>frequency allocation software, not to mention hundreds if not
>thousands of pounds of antenna couplers.

>	On the other hand, a recent conversation with the manager
>responsible for integrating the equivalent of AirFone into our next
>generation airplane left me with the impression that there was quite a
>big chunk of bandwidth required. One obvious solution would be an
>onboard DS1 mux which performs upconversion at its output to an IF
>frequency of the UHF set (most likely 70 MHz). I don't know whether
>such a beast exists today, but I doubt that that's what is used in
>most AirFone installations (i.e. one phone in the back of the plane).

When I flew on the SAC airborne, we had UHF mux with 15 channels, and it
was /old/ technology.  While I agree that 400 would be overkill, I'd think
standard telephone switch-sizing techniques would lower the anticipated
service requirements down considerably.  A designer might want to adjust
for projected load-mix, such as a business shuttle vs vacation charters.

Back in the old step-by-step telephone days, most installations only had
line-finders for 10-15% of the phones in service.  My guess is that for
airfones, something less than that would be adequate.  Ever had to wait
for dialtone on your regular phone?  It /does/ happen occasionally.

            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska
postmaster%inns@iugate.unomaha.edu   |   College of Law
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org  |   Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (01/11/91)

I just got back from a one-day trip to Washington DC.  Both the trip
up and the return were on one of Eastern's newly-upgraded 757s, with
the huge first class cabin.  Every seat in First Class has an Airfone
imbedded right in the back of the seat immediately in front (the front
row seats have the phone mounted on the bulkhead in front of them).

As it turned out, we were required by an ATC computer outage to hold
on the taxiway at National Airport for about 45 minutes.  Being the
nice husband that I am, I decided to call my wife and tell her that
I'd be late for dinner.  Quite a few other folks decided to place
calls, too.

Unlike the older Airfones with sort of a curved handset and little
stubby antenna (cordless), these built-into-the-seat phones are
rectanglar, and attach to the seatback by a cord that is obviously on
a reel of some kind inside the seat.  To release the phone from the
seat, you press a credit card into a little vertical slot.  All this
does is depress a little mechanical hook, and the phone pops out.
Several folks were initially confused by this, assuming that the slot
in the seat was supposed to read their card, and got frustrated that
the card wouldn't go all the way in.  The flight attendants had
clearly had to explain this to folks before, since they handled it
nicely.

The magnetic stripe reader is built into the side of the handset.
Simply swipe the card through it.  It DTMFs your card number to the
control unit, apparently, since you can hear the tones in the
background; you can go ahead and put the card back in your pocket (it
doesn't retain the card like the older systems).  I notice some folks
having problems getting their cards to read, apparently because they
were swiping them through too slowly.  It doesn't say on the phone to
do it FAST, but you need to.

After reading your card and sending the info to the central
controller, an awful digitized voice says "Thank you for using
Airfone.  Please wait for the dial tone."  The first time I tried the
call, I got the dial tone almost immediately; the second time (when a
few other people were using phones), I had to wait a couple of
minutes.  When you get the dial tone, you punch in the number you're
calling.  The voice then says "Now processing your call; please wait."
After a period of time (which also varied from a few seconds to a
minute), the voice comes back on and reads you the number you dialed;
I assume this happens while it is delivering the number to the PSTN,
because almost immediately thereafter you start hearing ringbacks.

On my first call, I got our answering machine.  I used the telephone
keypad to command the machine to play messages and a couple of other
things, and it seemed to work fine (good news, since this means I
could also use it to check voicemail at the office).  I left a brief
message, and hung up.  This call was from the ground at National
Airport.

My second call was from the air, about 10 minutes outside of Atlanta
airport.  This time I got my wife on the phone.  I had to TELL her
that I was still on the plane; she told me that, except for a slight
bit of background noise (wind noise, she said), the line was as clear
as any payphone in the Atlanta airport.

Anyway, that's my experience with the new Airfone system.  It was very
nice to be able to use my corporate AT&T Card instead of my American
Express (as I'd had to do with Airfone before), because that way _I_
don't see the bill and _I_ don't have to account for it on an expense
report!  Nevertheless, it was also nice to read (on the instruction
card) that they'd reduced the rates to $2 setup plus $2 per minute;
really not bad at all.

In article <15918@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ccplumb@spurge.uwaterloo.ca
(Colin Plumb) writes:

> All the airphones I've seen are all in one bank, so it makes more
> sense for there not to be an instrument n+1 than for it to be where
> someone can pick it up and not get a dial tone.  If nothing else, the
> physical "no more available" is more readily comprehensible to
> passengers than bandwidth.

This doesn't happen with the new system!  You really do end up sitting
there with the instrument on your ear, listening to dead silence.  It
would have been nice if there had been some repeated message to let
you know that it hadn't gone dead.  I did notice a couple of people
give up in frustration; my guess was that they didn't realize they
were having to condend with other passengers for circuits.  It would
be nice if the message explained the situation ( "all circuits now in
use; please hold until a circuit is available" ).

> (P.S. Do airphones check that you've put back the right phone before
> releasing the credit card?  It sounds like a great way to exchange a
> stolen credit card for a good one.  Insert piece of junk, remove
> handset, replace in cradle holding gold card dext door.  The getaway
> offers problems, though.)

The older Airfones would not release the card if you tried to put the
wrong phone back in a cradle.  Your card was locked in place to make
sure you didn't walk off with the phone, but at the same time your
card was protected because nobody else could get to it unless they
returned the right handset.  Of course, this isn't an issue with the
new system.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (01/11/91)

In article <15918@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>But that's because customers demand conveniently placed instruments.
>All the airphones I've seen are all in one bank, ...

I've been on planes with one or two phones in the front and another in
the back, but the real telephonic traffic jams occur on the BOS - LGA
 - DCA shuttles.  On those planes, there is a phone in the back of
every middle seat in every row (except presumably the last.)  These
phones are lightweight plastic handsets with a retracting cord.  You
release the phone from the seat by sticking your card into a slot that
flips a simple mechanical latch, then run your card through a slot
that runs the length of the handset.

The reception is a little better than on the cordless model, but the
handset is so light and crummy that it's hard to press the earpiece to
your ear firmly enough to block out all of the background noise.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl