[comp.dcom.telecom] Local Long Distance Calls, and Thoughts on a New Service

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (01/10/91)

In article <15923@accuvax.nwu.edu> CAPEK%YKTVMT.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
(Peter G. Capek) writes:

>What are the legal restrictions, if any, on an Inter-Exchange Carrier
>providing service within a LATA, normally the province of a Local
>Exchange Carrier?  When I try to force a call via AT&T, for example to
>a number which is near where I'm calling from, I get a message about
>the call not being able to be completed.  (I tried this by dialing
>10288-0-914-762-xxxx).  I ask because if there is in fact some legal
>restriction, what effect does it have on completing 800 calls which
>happen to originate in the same LATA as the 800 number terminates?
>(Same question could be asked for 900 numbers..)

Unless there are local (state) restrictions there really are none.
However...

Listen to the intercept recording you get when you try that until the
end where it should give a number, like "9075".  If you get some
number starting with your area code (or for that matter, any area
code) then you are being blocked by the toll switch.

Local exchange switches may not have any identification on the
recording or may send you to a "fast busy" signal.

I suspect you will find that the local switch is intercepting the
call.  Normally toll switches don't block anything that can be
completed, including toll calls right back to your own local exchange!
That particular feature may in fact be blocked, however.  (People with
fat fingers actually dial it that way and then complain about it.)

I know of a number of cases where local calls between different
switches can be completed by dialing long distance, and yet in the
same area there are others that are blocked by the local line
switches.  The Fairbanks Municipal Utilities System blocks toll calls
to ALL other local switches.  Most of the other line switchers in the
area do not.  The calls cost something like 11 cents for the first
minute at evening rates.

And if you do get a "9075", as I mentioned above, at the end of the
intercept ... its Fairbanks.

Floyd L. Davidson   98 Salcha, AK 99714  bpaycheck connection to Alascom, Inc.
 When I speak for them, one of us will be *out* of business in a hurry.

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (01/11/91)

In article <15923@accuvax.nwu.edu>, CAPEK%YKTVMT.BITNET (Peter G.
Capek) writes:

[ an article about using inter-LATA carriers for intra-LATA calls ]

> [Moderator's Note: Telecom*USA uses 'area code' 700 for this purpose.
> Dial 700 + number in your own area code to make a local call billed
> via Telecom*USA instead of Illinois Bell. Don't ask me how they
> legally get away with it.  PAT]

In NJ, all of the inter-LATA carriers except AT&T provide intra-LATA
service.  We can use 10xxx plus the home area code and local number,
unless xxx happens to be 288 (AT&T).  I'm not sure why AT&T choses not
to do this, or is prevented from doing it.

The MCI rates for calls within NJ are often less than those of NJ
Bell, for calls just beyond one's local calling area.  They are almost
always less than the sent-paid rate from public coin phones.  Their
'around town' service allows credit-card calls from phones in the
local area without the card surcharge, which definitely beats the
price of the NJ Bell IQ-Card!

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857