[comp.dcom.telecom] Secure Lines

llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) (01/11/91)

Straying from comp.dcom.telecom somewhat, but it's short:

In article <15915@accuvax.nwu.edu> tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe)
writes:

> Third, if he did have one [a security clearance], he would have
>used the STU-III in the first place. Fourth, he would have known who
>to call about the problem in the first place, instead of the bozos
>that gave him the run-around.

Neither of these is generally true.  Although I imagine there are
plenty of people holding clearances who do know these things, the
majority of people holding clearances (including those I have worked
with) have never heard of a STU-III and would have little idea who to
call.

Most people who hold clearances have them because of the information
they deal with in their work, not because of their knowledge of the
intelligence community and it's practices.