[comp.dcom.telecom] New Roaming System for A Carriers

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (01/10/91)

Thanks a lot for the information in RoamingAmerica.  I look forward to
trying out some of the codes the next time I'm out-of-state.  The odd
thing is, there hasn't been a peep from Cellular One that this new
service exists or is available.  I ran into it completely by accident.
But they did know about it when I called.  You'd think that there
would have been some mention in the newsletter, wouldn't you?

jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (01/10/91)

RoamingAmerica isn't new by any means. The network was fairly large
when I still worked at Cellular One here in Rochester. In April of
last year, I wrote a fairly in-depth of the workings of
RoamingAmerica. It follows a few answers:

Steve Forrette wrote:

> - There's currently a bug in the system (at least in San Francisco),
>in that the referral will take precedence over any call forwarding or
>no-answer transfer you have enabled.  Cellular One admitted that this

It really isn't a bug. It stems from the switches different classes of
service. When RoamingAmerica fowards your number to the trunk that
will play the announcement describing how to reach you, it will change
your call forwarding to forward to the correct trunk. If you had call
forwarding set, it's current state is saved, and then restored after
RoamingAmerica is cancelled. If the switch has multiple
call-forwarding options, (such as forward on busy/no-answer and
immediate forward), RomaingAmerica makes the change to the class that
has higher precedence.

>cellphone along.  Note that unlike the *18/*19 FMR of the "B"
>carriers, this new referral service happens automatically when you
>place your first call, and there's apparently no way to shut it off
>(except to leave call forwarding on before you leave (once they get it
>working properly, that is!), but then you have to pay their "No
>Vaseline" full airtime prices for forwarded calls :=( )

Check out the *300 *310 *320 star codes in my article. As long as your
cellular company has chose to implement them, they should work. If
they haven't, call 'em up and scream at em (-;. If all else fails, you
can be removed from the Roaming America database by calling either:

1. Your home cellular company (they should have a 800-number for Roaming
America trouble calls).
2. The foreign cellular company.

Either company should be able to remove you from the RoamingAmerica
database temporarily or permanently if the *3x0 codes don't work.

Jeff

| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax +----------------------+ INET:jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|INTERNET: jjwcmp@ritvax.rit.edu              |____UUCP:jjwcmp@ultb.UUCP____|
|'claimer: I speak only for myself. Opinions expressed are NOT those of RIT.|

Here is a description of RoamingAmerica, the nationwide roaming system
that is used by the majority of the non-wireline carriers.

APPEX Corporation's RoamingAmerica System has been operating
successfully in over ten cities for several months. The carriers
operating in these markets have been offering RoamingAmerica to their
entire subscriber base. More than a dozen markets are scheduled to
receive RoamingAmerica service in the next couple of months. {The
number of participating cites is much higher now.}

RoamingAmerica provides both Transparent Call Forwarding (TCF) and
Caller Notification services.

Transparent Call Forwarding enables a subscriber to receive incoming
calls while roaming in a foreign area by conditionally transferring
these calls from the subscriber's home switch to the serving Cellular
Geographic Service Area (CGSA).

Caller Notification allows a roamer to have the incoming call
conditionally transferred to a voice announcement on the home switch.
The announcement tells the calling party what city the roamer is in
and provides instructions (including long distance phone number for
the foreign switch's roamer access port) for calling the roamer on the
foreign system.

RoamingAmerica provides several methods by which subscribers can
activate RoamingAmerica services. Carriers can elect to have their
subscribers activate the system by placing a call from a foreign
market. Alternatively, carriers can elect to have subscribers
explicitly activate and deactivate the system by dialing 'star' codes.
It is even possible to combine these methods so that a subscriber is
activated by placing a call, and yet can explicitly deactivate or
change service by dialing a star code. RoamingAmerica is very flexible
in this respect, and can be easily customized to fit a carrier's
specific needs.

The start codes that RoamingAmerica uses are:

         *31:   Activate TCF
        *310:   Deactivate TCF
         *32:   Activate CN
        *320:   Deactivate CN
        *300:   Deactivate All RoamingAmerica Service

To implement the above features, RoamingAmerica uses the stream of
call set-up data from the PRV port {PRV stands for Positive Roamer
Verification, the system that the majority of the non-wireline
carriers use for subscriber validation.} on the serving cellular
switch to initiate the automatic roamer registration and activate the
roamer's call transfer. On switches that provide the dialed digits as
part of this information, the star codes can be detected in this
manner. For switches that do not provide the dialed digits to the PRV
system, APPEX has developed the APPEX Voice Response System (AVRS),
which enables explicit activation and deactivation of RoamingAmerica
services.  The AVRS also provides the voice storage and retrieval
system for caller notification.

When RoamingAmerica detects that a subscriber is requesting activation
of RoamingAmerica service, the system checks the NPA/NXX of the
roamer's phone to identify the roamer's home switch. It determines if
the home system is a RoamingAmerica participant, and if the home
system's subscribers are to receive RoamingAmerica service in this
particular foreign market. Last of all, it determines what type of
service the subscriber has chosen to receive.

In parallel with the above activity, APPEX's PRV system performs a
check of the APPEX National Negative file and performs a positive
validation check on the subscriber. If the subscriber has not been
validated on the switch within 24 hours, an inquiry is performed on
the home switch to verify that he is active and has good credit. In
addition, PRV performs a MIN/ESN mismatch check to detect fraudulent
cellular phones. If any of these validation procedures fail, the
subscriber's RoamingAmerica service is immediately aborted and
deactivated.

Meanwhile, if the subscriber has chosen to activate transparent call
forwarding, RoamingAmerica sends a message to the serving switch
directing it to assign a temporary number to the roamer and insert
this number into the the serving switch's database.  The temporary
number is assigned from a block of temporary numbers that have been
reserved on the switch to serve roamers.  When RoamingAmerica receives
confirmation that the serving switch has assigned the temporary number
to the roamer, it sends a command to the roamer's home switch
directing it to deactivate any existing call forwarding and to
establish a conditional call forwarding {forward on no-answer/busy} to
the temporary number assigned by the foreign switch.

If the subscriber has chosen to activate caller notification,
RoamingAmerica sends a message to the home switch directing it to
conditionally transfer the subscriber to a contrived phone number that
consists of two parts: the routing prefix and the switch code
identifier. The routing code is common to all numbers used in caller
notification, whereas the switch code varies depending on the foreign
market in which the subscriber is currently located. When an incoming
call is received, it is transferred to this number. The routing prefix
directs the switch to route this call to the trunk group that connects
the switch to the AVRS, and outpulse the switch code identifier
portion of the number. The switch code identifier tells the AVRS which
message to play back to the calling party.

If a subscriber does not explicitly deactivate the system as described
above, RoamingAmerica will deactivate his service X hours after his
most recent call was placed form the foreign market. This time span is
referred to as the cancellation time, and can be set on a per carrier
basis.

When a roamer registers successfully on RoamingAmerica in a particular
serving system, he stays registered and continues to receive incoming
calls that are forwarded to his temporary number until one of the
following events occur:

1.  The roamer fails to place a call at least once during the
    cancellation time interval.

2.  The RoamingAmerica operations staff manually deactivates
    the roamer.

3.  The roamer dials one of the deactivation codes in any
    system. Deactivation will only occur from his home system
    if the home system provides an AVRS system.

4.  The roamer goes to another foreign system and places a
    call, thereby registering in the new foreign system (and
    terminating his registration in the previous foreign system), or

5.  The roamer fails any PRV validation check on any roamer
    call he places while active on RoamingAmerica.

Whenever RoamingAmerica is deactivated, the subscriber's originally
call forwarding and call transfer settings are retrieved from the
system's internal database, and restored on the home switch.

RoamingAmerica consists of application software that runs in a VAX/VMS
environment and uses the existing APPEX national network
{packet-switched} for communicating to switches across the country.

wright@ais.org (Carl Wright) (01/11/91)

In article <15879@accuvax.nwu.edu> forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve
Forrette) writes:

>There seems to be a new roaming system that some of the A carriers are
>using (is this perhaps "Roam Across America" or something similar?).
>When you are outside of your local area and registered in another,
>your callers will get a recording telling them what city you are in,
>the roamer port number there, and instructions on how to use it.  This
>is a vast improvement over what we had before (nothing), but still not
>as neat as the call just going through by itself.  Based on my
>experience and a call to Cellular One, here are some details:

> - Registration is automatic - all you have to do is place or receive
>a call in a foreign system in order to activate it.

For many users, the "Registration" process for the phone occurs when
the phone is turned on. By "Registration" I don't intend to say that
your home switch knows your location when you turn the phone on in
another carrier's service area. That probably only happens when your
home switch is requested to verify your credit worthiness by the
switch you are visiting via the roamer validation service company.

In Los Angeles, with Cellular One, you are using one of Ericsson's
most sophisticated installations. They have four AXE-10 switches
networked together so that whenever you turn on your phone, your home
switch (the one you were activated in by Cellular One) knows where you
are at.  They need the information to seamlessly route calls coming in
to you.

The call traffic in Los Angeles has become so intense in some
neghborhoods that PacTel has raised the rates for using your phone in
that area. If you travel through, part of the call is at normal (high)
rates and the part in this neighborhood is charged at still hgher
rates. I forget the neighborhood. Is it Rodeo Drive?

> - The foreign system doesn't need any special equipment.  All they
>need is to be part of the Positive Roamer Verification (PRV) network.
>When your home system gets a MIN/ESN verification request from another
>system (which happens upon your first call), it knows where you are.

This validation actually occurs after the first call is completed.
This is primarily a system to limit roamer fraud. This is provided by
GTETS and APPEX/EDS for almost all cellular carriers. They have even
set up a gateway between them to pass information so that they serve
each others customer base.

The information passed between carrier switches is being increased to
permit the visited switch to know your characteristics as a user and
to treat you like your home system does. It is part of the goal of
providing seamless service.

Carl Wright                     | Lynn-Arthur Associates, Inc.
Internet: wright@ais.org        | 2350 Green Rd., #160
Voice: 1 313 995 5590 EST       | Ann Arbor, MI 48105