[comp.dcom.telecom] Notes on the Phone System in Holland

rmoonen@hvlpa.att.com (01/03/91)

The Dutch phone system is a monopoly of the Dutch PTT. They do not
allow reselling of lines, except on toll-free numbers. Regular Dutch
numbers consist of an area code, and a three to seven digit number.
Large cities have a three digit code, small places a five digit code.
All codes start with a '0' which is to be omitted when being called
from abroad.  Further we have special tariff numbers, that all start
with 06.

06 followed by a 3 are mostly chat-lines, and/or dial-a-porn kinda
lines.  (When in Holland try 06-320.320.69) This service costs $0.29
per minute.

06 followed by a 0 are toll free numbers, and generally these numbers
start with 06-022 followed by four digits.

06 followed by anything else can get you paging equipment, cellular
phones, special service operators, directory assistance etc, and can
cost anything between $0.00 and $0.29 per minute.

06-0410	is the Teleplus operator, the PTT service for collect calls,
card calls and other operator assisted calls. You can reach this
operator from the States by calling 1-800-432-0031. Beware: it can
take as long as ten minutes on hold before you are helped. This
outrageous long waiting time has caused me to write a letter of
complaint to the Dutch PTT, to which I have not yet received any
response. I'll keep you informed on this.

06-0418 is directory assistance for international calls.

Normal services include:

002 - speaking clock
003 - weather forecast
004 - has been  moved to 06-0410, see above.
006x- maintainance and service personnel numbers
007 - Help-desk & reporting of malfunctions
008 - normal directory assistance.
001x- Used to be other services, now disconnected, and/or moved to the
      06-041x range.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions you have on the Dutch
telephone system including technical questions on routing and
switching equipment.

Ralph Moonen    voice: +31.2155.24356   rmoonen@hvlpa.att.com

mnelson@ihlpb.att.com (Michael C Nelson) (01/10/91)

I am posting this for soemone who has no posting capabilities, so
please reply to him, not to me.  M. Nelson

In article <15886@accuvax.nwu.eokdu>, hm@fwi.uva.nl writes:

> In article <15809@accuvax.nwu.edu> Ralph Moonen writes:

> [about he Dutch phone system]  002 - speaking clock  003 - weather forecast

> Not anymore.  They moved to 06-8002 and 06-8003 on December 1st, 1990.
> They still cost 1 unit, i.e. Dfl 0.15 (about US$ 0.08) per call.

> When they announced the change, PTT Telecom referred to an
> ``international agreement'' to make 00- the prefix for international
> calls.  Can anybody tell me what sort of agreement they meant?  Is
> this an EC directive, a CCITT recommendation, or what?

Well, you are right of course, but the old numbers still work. They
have not yet been disconnected.  BTW, the alternative routing to these
services still work for some old 00x services. This works as follows:

Dial for 00x:

0yz01-1xx where yz = the two digits identifying the Telecom District.
So, to call 008 in the place Leeuwarden, you would call 05101-188.
This works for all Telecom districts, except Utrecht.  (ID: 34)

> >001x- Used to be other services, now disconnected, and/or moved to the
> >      06-041x range.

> Exception: 0011 (emergencies) moved to 06-11.  Like a regular
> non-local call, it costs 1 unit per 45 seconds.

True, but it will become toll-free in the near future. (Also from a
payphone.)

(Replies should go to:)

Ralph Moonen   rmoonen@hvlpa.att.com   (+31) 2155-24356

cmylod@oracle.nl (Colum Mylod) (01/10/91)

In article <15886@accuvax.nwu.edu> hansm@cs.kun.nl writes in response
to the article from <15809@accuvax.nwu.edu>:

>When they announced the change, PTT Telecom referred to an
>``international agreement'' to make 00- the prefix for international
>calls.  Can anybody tell me what sort of agreement they meant?  Is
>this an EC directive, a CCITT recommendation, or what?

It's an EC-recommendation. The idea is to try to standardize some
codes across Europe. The European PTTs are not obliged to standardize
on 00 for IDD, but as most countries use 00 already, some of the
others are changing. The Dutch PTT will eventually, once current 00
users are moved.  Telecom Eireann use 16 for IDD but 00 now also works
in the Dublin area, though they haven't announced it.

>>001x- Used to be other services, now disconnected, and/or moved to the
>>      06-041x range.

>Exception: 0011 (emergencies) moved to 06-11.

0011 was the emergency number only in the Brabant and Gelderland
provinces.  This was a test to see if the one uniform number would be
an improvement on the myriad collection of numbers that were in use
and which few people knew in their own area, and no-one knew outside
their own area. It was considered a success, so they opted for a
national simple number, and 0611 was it. However the EC has decided on
112 for a standard emergency number, which would be inconvient in
Holland as local numbers begin with "1".

>  Like a regular non-local call, it costs 1 unit per 45 seconds.

And what a shame this is. Profit made from misery. It's free in most
countries, so saving someone rummaging in pockets for a coin to call
from public phones. The PTT's excuse is charging reduces false calls.

And can I just say that all Amsterdam numbers (+31-20 code) will be
seven-digit from 1 March 1991. Prepend 6 to six-digit numbers beginning with
"2".

Colum Mylod  cmylod@oracle.nl  The Netherlands Above is IMHO

[Moderator's Note: Emergency calls (911 in the USA) are *not* free.
Usually the charge is automatically reversed to the receiver of the
call, i.e. the emergency agency, much like an 800 call, but without
the additional digits dialed.  *Someone* always pays for 911 calls:
telco does not handle them for free.   PAT]

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (01/11/91)

In message <15886@accuvax.nwu.edu>, hm@fwi.uva.nl (HM) writes:

HM> Exception: 0011 (emergencies) moved to 06-11.  Like a regular
HM> non-local call, it costs 1 unit per 45 seconds.

The 06-11 number is temporary. In the future it will be 112 - the
emergency number will be the same in all western Europe. PTT Telecom
doesn't issue any new subscriber numbers starting with 1, and existing
numbers starting with 1 will be phased out. (I don't know why all
numbers starting with 1, rather than 112). When the new number is
available, there will be a transition period where both numbers will
be valid.

Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Telephone: +31 30 531806           Uucp: uunet!mcsun!ruuinf!piet
Telefax: +31 30 513791        Internet: piet@cs.ruu.nl (*`Pete')