[comp.dcom.telecom] Shortened Codes For Nearby Areas

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (01/12/91)

In a note dated December 5 (1990), John Slater <johns@scroff.uk.sun.
com> writes regarding the UK:

>The dialling code (STD code) was the same for the
>whole country except in the area local to the number (where no
>dialling code was required) and immediately adjacent areas (where a
>short one or two-digit code was used). These short codes served two
>purposes: they saved time and finger-ache when dialling, and they
>bypassed the trunk network.

>Today most local codes have been abandoned, and STD codes work to
>anywhere from anywhere, including within the local dialling area. Much
>simpler.

If I read correctly several years ago, a similar concept was proposed
(and rejected) for calls within New York City when it became necessary
to split 212 to form 718.  That was a "borough code".  I take it one
reason to reject it is the confusion it would cause to people from out
of town?

[Moderator's Note: But Carl, we still use many abbreviated codes
without worrying about confusion for out of town people. We use 411 for
directory here. Other places use 113? or 555-1212. 611 is a quick way
to reach repair, but many places have to dial a seven or ten digit
number to reach repair. 911 causes confusion with people in one town
who hear about it being available elsewhere and think that they have
it also, when they don't and are still dialing 7-D for police.   PAT]