[comp.dcom.telecom] Unlisted Numbers and CompuServe's Directory Service

Ed_Greenberg@3mail.3com.com (01/03/91)

I tried out CompuServe's directory service, and, after a few false
starts, I got into it (It's NOT GO DIRECTORY, as you might think, and
I don't really remember what it is.)

When you access this service, CompuServe switches you off to another
host computer, operated by the information provider.  In other words,
only the help files appear on CompuServe, the rest is just a pass
through.

I tried about ten different listed numbers, and they had them all.  I
tried two unlisted numbers, mine, and they had neither, nor did they
know me by name at my current or previous addresses.

What's interesting is that I give out ONE of my unlisted numbers to
anyone who asks.  Most people who do business with me have it on file.
This includes utilities, charge cards and other creditors.  Even on
recent court papers, and therefore in the public record. Nonetheless,
it didn't make it into this service.

[Moderator's Note: The command is 'GO PHONEFILE'. And yes, the service
is great to have around although I think the surcharge is a bit steep.
I did not find any business numbers listed however; did you?  PAT]

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (01/07/91)

>[Moderator's Note: The command is 'GO PHONEFILE'. And yes, the service
>is great to have around although I think the surcharge is a bit steep.
>I did not find any business numbers listed however; did you?  PAT]

The service being offered on CIS as PHONEFILE is a much watered down
version of the Metromail service to which it is gatewayed.. If you
think the surcharge is a bit steep, try it with a direct account :-)..
they demand a $1,000 per month minimum billing for the full service
and each search costs between .45 & somewhere around $2.. When you
figure how many searches you could do in an hour on CIS, you could
come out way ahead even though most of the power on the real system is
not available on the CIS front end..

I know of other systems that also gateway to the Metromail system, and
one of them charges between $25-45 PER search hit..

You will NOT find any business addresses or phone numbers in the file
as it consists only of residential information. There are a couple of
exceptions to this rule, but once again, the watered down front end at
CI$ does not allow you to access them.

So while the $15 per hour surcharge may seem a bit high to you, it is
a real bargin compared to the cost if you were to subscribe directly..
The cheapest way to use the service is designed for mass mailers, who
can supply tape reels with their mailing lists on them, and for
something like .30 per hit, they get address corrections, nine digit
zip codes etc.

At last claim the database contained about 64 million residential
phone numbers, 80 million addresses, and around 114 million names.
They make no claims about having unlisted phone numbers, even though
they may well still have your name and address along with a phone # of
000-000-0000.  However once in a while, an unlisted phone can sneak
it's way into the file without them knowing it is unlisted. They use
many sources to collect the information, and try to keep it current.

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) (01/08/91)

Bob Sherman writes:

> So while the $15 per hour surcharge may seem a bit high to you, it is
>a real bargin compared to the cost if you were to subscribe directly.
>The cheapest way to use the service is designed for mass mailers, who
>can supply tape reels with their mailing lists on them, and for
>something like .30 per hit, they get address corrections, nine digit
>zip codes etc.

A little known FREE service of your US Postal Service is that they
will do the same thing.  You have to provide the data in a fixed
format on certain media (5 1/4 msdos format disks are one), fill out a
form, and send it in.  Several weeks later, you get back corrected
data, +4 zip codes, standard address codes, etc.  They will even
supply suite/apartment numbers for individuals or businesses in large
buildings.  Check with the commercial mailing rep at your local large
post office.

Davie Brightbill

Jim.Redelfs@iugate.unomaha.edu (Jim Redelfs) (01/12/91)

> I tried about ten different listed numbers, and they had them all.  I
> tried two unlisted numbers, mine, and they had neither, nor did they
> know me by name at my current or previous addresses.

We have two levels of non-printed telephone serivces: Unlisted and
Non-Published.  Unlisted is available from D.A.; Non-Published is NOT.
We charge more to provide the latter than the former.

Using the above "definitions", what type is your "unlisted" service?

Does CompuServe make such distinctions with their service?

JR

 Copernicus V1.02
 Elkhorn, NE [200:5010/666.14] (200:5010/2.14)