[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Universal Card; Travel Calling

celoni@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Jim Celoni) (01/13/91)

In article <16006@accuvax.nwu.edu> zweig@cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>My AT&T Universal card ... [doesn't]
>work with _any_ long distance company other than AT&T....

>My understanding was that there was some kind of mechanism for
>distributing calling card numbers...

It's a feature :).  My AT&T Universal calling card number works fine
with the local operating companies (e.g. Pac*Bell) for intra-LATA
calls, but only with AT&T for inter-LATA.  So my number is in the
shared database, but the IXCs have more restricted access to it??

I do think it's a feature because it alerts one who doesn't notice the
lack of the sparkling "AT&T" or the "Thank you for using AT&T" voices
that another carrier is trying to handle the call.

I use Metromedia <> ITT's Preferred Calling Card (NO surcharge, 950
access, competitive per-minute rates; info 800/ 275-0100) for most
domestic calls, even intra-LATA, but if I know a call will be long
enough for the difference in per-minute rates to exceed the surcharge
(e.g. 0.72+(ATT less 10%) < Metro, or 0.40+PacBell < Metro -- several
minutes to > 1/2 hr depending on time of day and called number), then
I'll use the Universal Card.

A caveat about the Universal Card: the magnetic stripe has the credit
card number, not calling card number, so if you swipe it into a public
phone, your credit card will be billed *by whatever carrier the phone
wants to use*, and even if it's AT&T you won't get the 10% off.  I
punch my number in.

Another competitive option for travel calling (not touted as often as
the MCI Card and Sprint FONcard) is MCI's VisaPhone/MasterPhone (0.70
surcharge+0.10-0.18/min; info 800/ 866-0099/333-3252).

Standard disclaimer applies; I'm just a happy user.  +j