[comp.dcom.telecom] Pulse-Mode Frequencies?

tholome@portia.stanford.edu (Eric THOLOME) (01/07/91)

Can anyone tell me the frequencies used by pulse-mode phones when
dialing?

Thanks!

Eric THOLOME   tholome@isl.stanford.edu   Stanford University

[Moderator's Note: I was unaware that 'pulse', or rotary dial phones
generated any frequencies or tones.   PAT]

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (01/07/91)

In article <15841@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tholome@portia.stanford.edu (Eric
THOLOME) writes:

> Can anyone tell me the frequencies used by pulse-mode phones when
> dialing?
> [Moderator's Note: I was unaware that 'pulse', or rotary dial phones
> generated any frequencies or tones.   PAT]

The last time I checked, pulse-dial phones generate a 'frequency' of
approximately 10 Hz.  (Ten dial-pulses per second.)  Probably a bit
low to be called a 'tone' but definitely a repetitive event, and that
means that it has a frequency!

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900	Fax: 908 647 6857

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (01/08/91)

THOLOME) writes:

>Can anyone tell me the frequencies used by pulse-mode phones when
>dialing?

The pulse frequency is nominally 10pps (in North America).  Most
switches will accomodate frequencies from 7 to 12pps.  The nominal
make/break ration is 60/40. Most swtches will accomodate make breaks
from 80/20 to 20/80.

Outside of North America the nominal pulse rates vary from country to
country but is most commonly 10pps with a 66/34 make/break.

meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) (01/08/91)

THOLOME) writes:

>Can anyone tell me the frequencies used by pulse-mode phones when
>dialing?

Dial pulses can be anywhere from 8 to 12 pulses per second and still
be recognized.

Some fast operators are specified to work up to 20 pps.

Who cares about dial pulsing any more anyway?

Rolf Meier					Mitel Corporation

seanwilliams@attmail.com (01/09/91)

Eric Tholome <tholome@portia.stanford.edu> writes:

>> ...I am looking for the frequencies used in tone mode phones. I know each
>> key generates two frequencies more or less based on C D and E music notes,
>> but I would like something a little bit more precise.

	1209	1336	1477	1633 <- Hertz
	 ___	 ___	 ___	 ___
	|   |	|   |	|   |	|   |
	| 1 |   | 2 |   | 3 |   | A |	0697	When a  key is pressed
	|___|   |___|   |___|   |___|		a   single   frequency
	 ___	 ___	 ___	 ___		from   the  low  group
	|   |	|   |	|   |	|   |		and a single frequency
	| 4 |   | 5 |   | 6 |   | B |	0770	from  the  high  group
	|___|   |___|   |___|   |___|		are  generated  simul-
	 ___	 ___	 ___	 ___		taneously.        Both
	|   |	|   |	|   |	|   |		frequencies must exist
	| 7 |   | 8 |   | 9 |   | C |	0852	for the carrier equip-
	|___|   |___|   |___|   |___|		ment  to recognize the
	 ___	 ___	 ___	 ___		signal.
	|   |	|   |	|   |	|   |
	| * |   | 0 |   | # |   | D |	0941
	|___|   |___|   |___|   |___|

The frequency pairs shown above are used throughout the world where
tone signalling is utilized.  The tones have been carefully selected
so that the processing circuits in the central office will not confuse
them with other tones which may occur on the line.  The time required
for the central office to recognize any digit tone is 50 milliseconds
with an interdigit interval of another 50 milliseconds.  The term
"Touch-Tone(tm)" is a trademark of AT&T.

Sources:

"Understanding Telephone Electronics" Texas Instruments Inc., 1983.
"Data Communications: A User's Guide" Ken Sherman, Simon & Schuster, 1990.

Sean E. Williams     seanwilliams@attmail.com

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (01/10/91)

In article <15852@accuvax.nwu.edu> mitel!Software!meier@uunet.uu.net
(Rolf Meier) writes:

   Some fast operators are specified to work up to 20 pps.

I have a Uniden phone that I bought around 1986, and it has a three
position switch : DTMF, 10pps pulse, 20pps pulse. I've not had any
problems using 20pps in CA and MA (but in well populated suburban
areas).

   Who cares about dial pulsing any more anyway?

I understand it's still widely used outside North America.

On this topic, why do many voice mail and other phone operated
services insist on users having DTMF phones ? Is it really hard to
detect pulse mode digits? I can see that the low numbers might be a
problem, (can't distinguish it from a noise pulse), but if one saw
five to ten regularly spaced pulses, isn't that adequate for
recognition?

I've seen AT&T answering machines which say on the box that they
work with pulse phones (at the remote end, for checking one's
messages).  I haven't played with them. Does anyone know how they
work, or how reliable the detection is ?

Regards,

Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

[Moderator's Note: The old Unitel (United Airlines) internal phone
network was able to recognize pulse dialing on the in-dial to their
call-extender here several years ago. Don't ask me how they did it. I
did note at the time that tone signals were more reliable.   PAT]

Jim.Redelfs@iugate.unomaha.edu (Jim Redelfs) (01/12/91)

> Can anyone tell me the frequencies used by pulse-mode phones when
> dialing?

> [Moderator's Note: I was unaware that 'pulse', or rotary dial phones
> generated any frequencies or tones.   PAT]

They DON'T!  They simply flash/open-close/pulse the loop - the
appropriate number of times for each digit.

I've successfully "dialed" a call using only the switchook.  (It is a
challenge!)

JR

 Copernicus V1.02
 Elkhorn, NE [200:5010/666.14] (200:5010/2.14)

julian%bongo.UUCP@nosc.mil (Julian Macassey) (01/13/91)

In article <15962@accuvax.nwu.edu> jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon
Sreekanth) writes:

>On this topic, why do many voice mail and other phone operated
>services insist on users having DTMF phones ? Is it really hard to
>detect pulse mode digits? I can see that the low numbers might be a
>problem, (can't distinguish it from a noise pulse), but if one saw
>five to ten regularly spaced pulses, isn't that adequate for
>recognition?

	The reason is that the pulse is a DC disconnection at your
phone instrument. This disconnection and therefore interruption of the
DC current extends only to your local CO. The far end will just hear a
click. Hearing the click above line noise is tricky. So yes, at the
far end, these are not "pulses" of 0 - 10V with 300V transients, but
clicks, not quite the same thing. DTMF on the other hand is still DTMF
after it has been down a fiber optic cable and across two satellite
links.

	Touch Tone was invented so subscriber signalling could be
carried over radio (microwave etc) circuits. Pulse dialling will not
work unless you have copper wire carrying DC - yes, subscriber carrier
excepted.

	Voice mail boxes, etc work well with DTMF and miserably trying
to listen for clicks. Then DTMF is also faster than pulse. Plus of
course there is no pulse equivalent for * and # (-:

	In the UK, a bank was offering a dial in interactive account
service.  Because of the dearth of DTMF phones in the UK, part of the
banks deal was a ten pound (money) deposit for a hand held DTMF
generator that you held to the mouthpiece to punch in your account
number etc.

>I've seen AT&T answering machines which say on the box that they
>work with pulse phones (at the remote end, for checking one's
>messages).  I haven't played with them. Does anyone know how they
>work, or how reliable the detection is?

	Not too reliable I would guess.

DTMF = Dual Tone Multi Frquency = Touch Tone
CO = Cental Office = Telephone Exchange

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@N6YN (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495