[comp.dcom.telecom] Help Wanted in Papua New Guinea

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (01/09/91)

I saw the following ad in a Toronto newspaper, and I thought it might
interest anyone who is tired of shovelling snow.

Engineering Challenges in Papua New Guinea

The Post and Telecommunication Corporation of Papua New Guinea needs
qualified engineers to work on the National Five Year Plan to rebuild the
Analogue Network into a Modern Digital Network.

We need qualified engineers who can work on the following

 * Digital Transmission Radio - (VHF, UHF, and BHF)
 * Digital Switching - Particularly with regard to Bell System 12.
 [Note from NDA: I think this really means Alcatel's (formerly ITT's)
 System 12.]
 * Power Electronics - (UPS)
 * Data Transmission Customers Equipment and network design

The skills you need are: Project Management, Systems Design and
Specification, Advanced Maintenance Skills (Installation and
Commissioning). In particular, we are looking for engineers who
possess management experience and can demonstrate a proven rack record
in this area. Age is no barrier - we are looking for high achievers
with relevant experience.

For further information contact Mrs. Doreen Brew on + (675) 274 172 or
fax + (675) 274 628. Please send resume to: Mrs. D. Brew, C/Knightway
House, 20 Soho Square, London W1A 1DS, United Kingdom.

[Note from NDA: It's interesting that the PNG Post and
Telecommunication Corp.  is hiring people itself, rather than relying
on the international consulting arm of a telephone company, such as
Bell Canada International.]

jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (01/14/91)

In article <15950@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen)
writes:

> [quotes ad for PTC in PNG]

> and comments: It's interesting that the PNG Post and
> Telecommunication Corp.  is hiring people itself, rather than relying
> on the international consulting arm of a telephone company, such as
> Bell Canada International.]

I guess we are used to PTC doing its own thing. They advertise for
staff a lot in the press here, and a number of Australians have done a
stint there. Generally the network in PNG is in quite good shape;
certainly a lot better than many developing countries.

I am not surprised they don't use a consulting company. Those thing
cost MONEY, and as the biggest source of foreign money in PNG is aid
from Australia, they don't have an awful lot to splash on consultancies.

Jim Breen                       AARNet:jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Department of Robotics & Digital Technology.
Monash University. PO Box 197 Caulfield East VIC 3145 Australia
(ph) +61 3 573 2552 (fax) +61 3 573 2745           JIS:$B%8%`!!%V%j!<%s(J