[comp.dcom.telecom] Source of Dial-less Phones

Paul.Schleck@iugate.unomaha.edu (Paul Schleck) (01/10/91)

Saw some made-for-TV movie the other night about a husband and wife
CIA team.  The most noticable prop at the "headquarters" were red and
blue phones without dials.  These would be nice to have as extension
phones (no dials for kiddies to mess with) as well as interesting
props (fool your neighbors into thinking you are a spook!).  Anyone
know a good source?  I assume they are a dime a dozen?

Please reply to this group or E-mail.  Thanks.

Paul W. Schleck
pschleck@alf.unomaha.edu

Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.12 r.5
[1:285/27@fidonet] Neb. Inns of Court 402/593-1192 (1:285/27.0)

Dave_JOHNSTON%01%SRJC@odie.santarosa.edu (01/11/91)

In are recent issue Paul W. Schleck [pschleck@unomaha.edu] asked for
sources for Dial-less red "hotline" phones.

In my past life in the interconnect business I had a couple customers
ask for those.  The best source I found was a telephone refurbisher.
They had the old wall and desk rotary phones available without the
dial.

The folks I used were ATRS in Sandpoint, Idaho, but a recent review of
Telecom Gear didn't have their ad and I can't seem to locate their
address or phone number.  I would suggest you try a couple of the
following:

Eltas, Inc.                +1 412 343 2500
Lippincott Industries      +1 509 922 1783
R&R Refurbishing           +1 800 323 8989
Telephone Outlet           +1 800 782 9701
Shasta Refurbishers        +1 916 244 4708

I haven't used any of them, but I would suspect that any of them could
come up with what you need.

Dave Johnston   +1 707 527 4853    Santa Rosa Junior College
Supervisor, Campus Data/Telecom    1501 Mendocino Ave.
johnston@odie.SantaRosa.EDU        Santa Rosa, CA  95401

das@cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) (01/14/91)

In article <15953@accuvax.nwu.edu> paul.schleck%inns@iugate.
unomaha.edu writes:

> ...  The most noticable prop at the "headquarters" were red and
>blue phones without dials.  These would be nice to have as extension
>phones (no dials for kiddies to mess with) ...

Until they learn how to click out a number.  (It's interesting how
many people don't know you can do this: back when all UCLA phones were
rotary dial, many secretaries were told to lock their phones with a
little cylinder stuck in the "5" hole, so that no digit past 5 could
be dialed.  This was supposed to prevent one from making outgoing
calls (you had to dial 9 first), but allowed calls to UCLA emergency
(35, hence the reason for putting the lock in "5").  Of course, some
people knew how to defeat this: it looked weird, what with seemingly
random combinations of dialing (for digits 1 through 5) and clicking
the switchhook (for 6 through 0).

David Smallberg, das@cs.ucla.edu, ...!{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!cs.ucla.edu!das