[comp.dcom.telecom] Cost Accounting

hes@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) (01/15/91)

In article <72210@bu.edu.bu.edu> yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu (Norman
Yarvin) writes:

>It seems to me that there are two ways of dealing with this.  One is
>to continue the endless proliferation of rules, special cases, and
>additional considerations.  The other is to charge by cost.   ...

  Cost accounting is much easier (but less interesting :-) when most
of the cost is *Variable*.  But, it seems to me, that most of the cost
for local service are Fixed costs, and so the cost to the phone
company of having you for a customer for a month do not change much
regardless of how many phone calls you make per month.  Here are the
cost categories I see:

Being a customer - having an account, getting mailed a bill,
processing payment, providing telephone book listing.  Fixed.

Local loop - from your place to CO and CO line-card.  Fixed.  (Ecept
for rare cases of local loop multiplexing)

CO switch - Fixed for non-blocking switches.  Mostly Fixed and partly
Variable for blocking switches (the basic switch cost is Fixed, and
the Variable cost is for increaseing the hardware enough to be able to
handle one extra simultaneous user.)

  I don't have figures for the above, but it seems the costs are
mostly Fixed.  Unlike Variable costs which can be attributed in a
logical fashion, Fixed costs have to be assigned by policy decisions,
and the recent policy decisions over "business" vs. "residence" boil
down to judgements of who "deserves" to be treated better (i.e., who
we like) and not of who it costs more to serve.  I think that mixing
up these decision criteria leads to confusion.

henry schaffer  n c state univ