[comp.dcom.telecom] ... Terrorist Act?

MCMAHON%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (McMahon,Brian D) (01/14/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #30, our Moderator writes:

>Read and enjoy "The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence". It is a
>fascinating book and explains lots of CIA dirty tricks.  The book was
>banned here in the USA, but now and then you can find a copy.  PAT]

Pat, this is rather old information.

Marchetti, Victor, and John D. Marks.  _The CIA and the Cult of
  Intelligence_.  New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1974
  Library of Congress Number 74-4995
  ISBN: 0-394-48239

I doubt that it is still in print, since its content is now severely
dated, and many more recent treatments of the Agency are available.
But it is certainly not the sort of samizdat that the Moderator seems
to imply.  In fact, it was even included on a list of books about the
intelligence community compiled by CIA.  It certainly is a good
treatment of problems in the Agency in the days before the Church
Committee, but anyone looking for an expose of current Dirty Deeds
will be disappointed.

In some minds, though, CIA is already guilty of almost any crime
imaginable.

Brian McMahon  <MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET> Grinnell College Computer Services
Grinnell, Iowa 50112 USA Voice: +1 515 269 4901 Fax:   +1 515 269 4936

cramer%clem@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (01/16/91)

I realize we may be getting a bit off the track here.  Nonetheless...

People who put stock in what Marchetti has to say may be interested in
knowing that he is an outspoken anti-semite.

Sam