[comp.dcom.telecom] What's on AT&T Universal Calling Card; The Answer

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird P. Broadfield) (01/18/91)

In <16074@accuvax.nwu.edu> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby)
writes:

>celoni@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Jim Celoni) writes:

>>A caveat about the Universal Card: the magnetic stripe has the credit
>>card number, not calling card number, so if you swipe it into a public
>>phone, your credit card will be billed *by whatever carrier the phone
>>wants to use*, and even if it's AT&T you won't get the 10% off.

>I don't think that this is accurate.  I believe that the stripe
>contains both numbers on it.  I believe this because when traveling

I was reading this thread, and realized I had the equipment available
from a recent R&D to answer this.  Here's the deal:

Remember that the card is a credit card; it just happens to come with
a calling card number.  The stripe data looks perfectly normal for a
credit card, with all the usual ISO7813 field info filled in on both
track 1 (6 bit +1 parity alphanumeric) and track 2 (4 bit +1 parity
numeric).  The ISO standards allow for some "discretionary data" up to
the capacity of the stripe, following the required stuff on each
track.  My U-card has no discretionary data on track 2, but has the
letters "ZZA" followed by my calling card number (without the PIN) in
the track 1 discretionary area.

This may tie in with Jim's U-rep saying that "not all phones are
programmed to read this yet"; maybe ZZA is a magic flag meaning "a
phone card number follows" and the machines need to be told to look
for it and use it if it's there.

Laird P. Broadfield
UUCP: {akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!lairdb
INET: lairdb@crash.cts.com