[comp.dcom.telecom] The Deadline! What Now?

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (01/18/91)

In article <16090@accuvax.nwu.edu>, telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:

> Can any of our readers with some background knowledge on telecom in
> the military advise us on how telecom is handled in a battle
> situation?  I'm a little familiar with the old-fashioned battery
> phones they used during World War II.  What about now?

And how is CNN maintaining two way voice from Baghdad?!

Dan Herrick   herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

[Moderator's Note: It is (was, until the line was cut?) a 'four-wire'
line to a transmitter elsewhere which in turned beamed it off to the
United States. It was installed with the blessings of the Iraq
government -- where other networks had failed to get permission --
because the Iraq goverment said they trusted CNN and had a lot of
respect for the organization. They've since grown angry at some things
CNN was reporting and cut the line, allowing transmission only under
heavily censored conditions. (Sort of like the way this Digest is run,
according to some folks ... yuk! yuk!  :)  PAT]