[comp.dcom.telecom] My Apologies, If You Were Bombed

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (01/12/91)

A large number of readers -- primarily those who had posted here in
recent weeks -- were subjected to a 'bombing run' on Friday. The
person simply collected up all the names and sites he could find, by
copying the address information in messages here, and sent out a mass
mailing.

I've received numerous complaints, and although I am really helpless
to stop this sort of action I do extend my apologies to those of you
who have complained. I knew nothing about it before I began getting
copies from several people. I can only suggest that if you do not wish
to receive the mailings, you write to the address where they
originated and ask to have them stopped.

 From time to time, the network is misused in this way, with anonymous
postings and mass-mailings sent through other than the normal mailing
list channels. Thankfully it does not happen all that often.

If you were one of the many who wrote me to express your disapproval
of the unsolicited mail, please accept this note in place of a
personal response.

Patrick Townson
TELECOM Moderator

gast@cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (01/14/91)

The Moderator wrote:

> A large number of readers -- primarily those who had posted here in
> recent weeks -- were subjected to a 'bombing run' on Friday. The
> person simply collected up all the names and sites he could find, by
> copying the address information in messages here, and sent out a mass
> mailing.

> From time to time, the network is misused in this way, with anonymous
> postings and mass-mailings sent through other than the normal mailing
> list channels.

I find this posting rather curious because many of us have complained
in this forum and elsewhere about corporations buying and selling our
names and about information gathered for one purpose being used for
another purpose.  The Moderator has responded that by voluntarily
putting information in the public arena, we should not complain when
it is used.  He has noted that he has an unlisted telephone number and
a PO Box for an address.

Now it seems to me that we are not forced to post to the TELECOM
Digest, that we do so of our own free will and that by the logic
above, we should not complain when it is used by someone else.  Why
should junk mail or junk phone calls be considered acceptable
behavior, but junk e-mail messages be unacceptable behavior?  (Cost
considerations aside since we can debate all today over who subsidizes
whom).

In fact, I would argue that his action was less offensive than junk
mail or junk phone calls for the following reasons:

1) I have expressed some interest in telecom issues.  I have not, for
   example, expressed any interest in the {Mercury News}.  Yet I should be
   polite to the cretin that calls?

2) Neither the TELECOM Digest nor the sender of the messages recieved any
   renumeration for selling information about me and no commercial
   soliciation was done.

3) Only my name and e-mail address was used; there was no attempt to
   determine income, political affiliation, buying patterns, race, sex,
   or other demographic data.

4) The sender explicitly stated that anyone who did not wish to receive
   future mailings from him would be taken off the list.  (In fact, the
   entire list has ceased).  The {Mercury News}, for example, refuses to
   take names off its list even when explicitly requested to do so.

David Gast        gast@cs.ucla.edu
{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!{ucla-cs,cs.ucla.edu}!gast

[Moderator's Note: Well, you raise some good points and I haven't much
argument with them except to note that on this net at least, I thought
there had always been an implied understanding that that sort of thing
was not acceptable. No such understanding or agreement exists with the
{Mercury News} that I know of. So it is not so much a matter of using
informaiton publicly available (which I still say is basically okay
even though I find a lot of it in bad taste myself) as it is violating
the so-called 'net etiquette' here.  PAT]

osh@jhereg.osa.com (John M. O'Shaughnessy) (01/19/91)

And I thought you were responding to the Middle East Crisis (*grin*)

John M. O'Shaughnessy            osh@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.    Minneapolis, MN

[Moderator's Note: *Smile* ... Thanks for your note, and to the
several other Digest readers who have offered their thoughts on the
events here of earlier this week I extend my thanks for writing.
Sometime over the weekend I intend to publish a special issue
clarifying some things regarding the autoreply, and posting guidlines
here so that everyone will understand what to expect.   PAT]