[comp.dcom.telecom] Four-Wire Line

streeter@athena.cs.uga.edu (Tom Streeter) (01/18/91)

There has been lots of talk around the College of Journalism about how
in the world CNN kept a phone line open during the bombing last night.
News reports mention a "four wire line."  Could anyone enlighten me?
We've tried to pump some of our sources at CNN but have not gotten
anything.

Tom Streeter    streeter@athena.cs.uga.edu

[Moderator's Note: CNN is to be commended for *excellent* coverage in
the Gulf -- far better than any of the other networks. They have a
very elaborate setup involving a hardwired link to a transmitter which
in turn beams a signal to the United States. It costs a small fortune:
I've heard estimates of $15,000 - $20,000 per month for the link
itself, and more depending on the amount of usage. Perhaps someone
will post a more technical description of 'four wire' service.   PAT]

bill@toto.info.com (Bill Cerny) (01/20/91)

streeter@athena.cs.uga.edu (Tom Streeter) writes:

>News reports mention a "four wire line."  Could anyone enlighten me?

Terrestial 4W line?  Nah; rather a Marisat terminal (country code
873).  Unfold an antenna on the roof, drop a lead over the ledge to
your hotel room, plug in and talk to anyone in the U.S. for $4.00/min.

This was quite obvious to me; but the Iraqis figured it out after eight
hours.  ;-)

Bill Cerny
bill@toto.info.com   |   attmail: !denwa!bill  |   Wham, bam, T-LAM!

KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard Budd) (01/21/91)

Tom Streeter <streeter@athena.cs.uga.edu>writes in TELECOM Digest V11
 # 47:

>There has been lots of talk around the College of Journalism about how
>in the world CNN kept a phone line open during the bombing last night.
>News reports mention a "four wire line."  Could anyone enlighten me?

and the Moderator commented:

>[Moderator's Note: CNN is to be commended for *excellent* coverage in
>the Gulf -- far better than any of the other networks. They have a
>very elaborate setup involving a hardwired link to a transmitter which
>in turn beams a signal to the United States. It costs a small fortune:
>I've heard estimates of $15,000 - $20,000 per month for the link
>itself, and more depending on the amount of usage. Perhaps someone
>will post a more technical description of 'four wire' service.   PAT]

I cannot provide a technical description of their service, but I
believe I caught a quick glimpse of it Thursday (1/17) night while
watching CNN.  While CNN was playing back B. Shaw, J. Holliman, and P.
Arnett's bomb by bomb account of the beginning of the raid on Baghdad,
CNN flashed a picture of their reporters standing in front of a box
with a minature satellite dish sticking out from the upper front of
it.  CNN showed the picture for only five seconds so I could not
examine it more in detail, but it appears to be the four-wire system
mentioned by the Moderator.

In fairness to the other networks, when Baghdad was hit on Wednesday
night (Thursday morning Iraqi time), Iraqi security immediately herded
journalists into the basement of the hotel where the latter were
staying The security officers missed the CNN crew, who had hidden in
their hotel room when the bombing started.

The cost of telecommunications equipment and of continuous coverage of
the Iraqi conflict was cited by {TV Guide} two weeks ago as the reason
TV coverage of future hostilities would likely be dramatically
reduced. It sounds like, from what I read in TELECOM Digest that the
process is already beginning with the major networks obligated to
receive information about the war from CNN.  I may go as far to say
that commercial television may go the way of radio, with a TV network
(proba- bly CBS) becoming all news and other networks becoming more
geared to certain profitable audiences. (This may not be directly a
telecom issue but it demonstrates telecom's effect on what we will see
on TV.)

Incidentially, my news from the Persian Gulf has come exclusively from
CNN and BBC World Services on short-wave.  I almost never watch TV
otherwise.  MY {TV Guide} subscription comes from an incident four
years ago when in a single month I had to ask somebody who Willard
Scott and PeeWee Herman were.  An embarrasing moment.

Richard Budd                 | E-Mail: IBMers     - rcbudd@rhqvm19.ibm
VM Systems Programmer        |         All Others - klub@maristb.bitnet
IBM - Sterling Forest        | Phone:               (914) 578-3746