[comp.dcom.telecom] Special Torx Screwdriver With Hole Wanted

dsc3rjs@nmdsc20.nmdsc.nnmc.navy.mil (Bob Stratton) (01/14/91)

> I would like to find a source for a Torx-type screwdriver with a hole
> in the center of the bit.  I have needed one for refilling HP toner
> cartridges as well as disassembling my Nokia-Mobira handheld cellular
> phone.  I can't seem to find them in tool catalogs or tool stores.

When I was looking for the same tools, I was given a great suggestion.
Go find the local "Snap-On" tool man in your area. These guys drive
around in big Ford Step-Vans, and sell tools to gas stations/garages/etc.
They tend to be pricey, but they have every tool known to man and God,
and will guarantee them for life. They carry entire Torx sets (weren't
they invented by Ford for automated assembly of autos?), and will sell
you individual tools too. You may also find a company called "Matco"
that works in the same manner.

Bob Stratton		| strat@ai.mit.edu       [Internet]
Stratton Systems Design	| dsc3rjs@vmnmdsc        [BITNET,only if you must]
			| +1 703 823 MIND        [PSTNet]
Disclaimer: The above opinions are mine alone - Who else would want them?

nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov (Bill Nickless) (01/14/91)

I would like to find a source for a Torx-type screwdriver with a hole
in the center of the bit.  I have needed one for refilling HP toner
cartridges as well as disassembling my Nokia-Mobira handheld cellular
phone.  I can't seem to find them in tool catalogs or tool stores.

I really don't want to have to put a Torx bit in a drill press, but
may have to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Nickless    (616) 927-0982    nickless@{flash.ras.anl.gov|andrews.edu}

74066.2004@compuserve.com (Larry Rachman) (01/14/91)

In a recent issue of Telecom, Bill Nickless <nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov>
writes:

>I would like to find a source for a Torx-type screwdriver with a hole
>in the center of the bit.  I have needed one for refilling HP toner
>cartridges as well as disassembling my Nokia-Mobira handheld cellular
>phone.  I can't seem to find them in tool catalogs or tool stores.

Call "The Bit Connection", at 719 S. Harbor, Fullerton, CA 92632,
714-680-3678. Their ad on page 56 of the December, 1990 issue of "Nuts
and Volts" magazine reads:

                          THE BIT THAT FITS
                             REMOVAL BITS
                     for TORX(r) Security Screws
                  Kit includes T10,T15,T20 and T25
                   Other Security Bits Available
                             Only $12.95
                            (CODs Welcome)

A friend of mine ordered these, and was quite happy with what he got.
(I, of course, would *never* have a need for such a thing :-).

(BTW, "Nuts & Volts" magazine is kind of interesting in its own right.
Its a pennysaver-type pub that deals in used and quasi-legitimate
electronics; kind of like a 'paper hamfest'. Contact # is 714-632-7721
(voice) 714-632-3041 (fax).

Larry Rachman, WA2BUX
74066.2004@compuserve.com

UCHUCK@unc.bitnet (Chuck Bennett (919) 966-1134) (01/14/91)

Bill Nickless <nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov> wrote:

> I would like to find a source for a Torx-type screwdriver with a hole
> in the center of the bit.  I have needed one for refilling HP toner
> cartridges as well as disassembling my Nokia-Mobira handheld cellular
> phone.  I can't seem to find them in tool catalogs or tool stores.

Tamper-resistant Torx bits can be obtained from:

    Jensen Tools, Inc.
    7815 South 46th Street
    Phoenix, AZ  85044-5399
    602-968-6231
    602-438-1690 (FAX, 24 hours)

I have no affiliation.  But, I do have a set of their Torx bits!!

Chuck Bennett
University of North Carolina

macy@fmsystm.uucp (Macy Hallock) (01/15/91)

>I would like to find a source for a Torx-type screwdriver with a hole
>in the center of the bit.  I have needed one for refilling HP toner
>cartridges as well as disassembling my Nokia-Mobira handheld cellular
>phone.  I can't seem to find them in tool catalogs or tool stores.

Several models of cellphone seem to use these.  Fujitsu and OKI used
them, too.  All seemed to be the same size.  We would often just knock
out the center pin with a very small old chisel.

If you want the real thing, several of the suppliers to the cellular
dealers have them. ORA Electronics in CA (800-423-5337 or
800-431-8124) comes to mind ... they have a nice catalog of cellular
stuff and other electronics, too.  Since they are primarily
wholesalers, they like to deal with dealers, but are not too picky
about small orders.  I like their antennas, BTW.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr. macy@fmsystm.UUCP
macy@NCoast.ORG  uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy

shipley@remarque.berkeley.edu (Pete Shipley) (01/21/91)

In article <72208@bu.edu.bu.edu> nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov (Bill
Nickless) writes:

>I would like to find a source for a Torx-type screwdriver with a hole
>in the center of the bit.

Try Snap-On ... I *know* they have it.

Pete