[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T International Call Blocking, Again

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas Scott Reuben) (01/20/91)

I was speaking to a friend of mine today (before going over to visit
her), and during our phone conversation, she mentioned that her "best
friend" was in Isreal teaching English, and due to the hostilities in
the area, was unable to get through. My friend was pretty anxious to
call her teacher friend, so I tried it out from my own phone before
leaving.

I've only called that country once myself, so I looked up the country
code, city code, etc., (to make sure that she had not made a mistake),
and then dialed the number, and it worked fine, on the first try. So I
figured that she was calling at a busy time, or SHE misdialed.

When I went to her school to pick her up, I asked her to do EXACTLY
what she did on her previous attempts. So she went to the dorm
payphone, dialed 01-972-4-333-xxx-#, and got the AT&T "boing". I
entered MY calling card to make sure that her card wasn't invalid or
over the limit (she has one of those AT&T cards with no physical phone
number).

An AT&T operator came on, and said that one can NOT make Calling Card
calls to that country. I asked why, and she said (incredible as this
may sound) "The state on New Jersey doesn't have a credit card billing
agreement with Israel". I told her that I really don't buy it, and she
just asked if I wanted to talk to her supervisor. I told her "No, not
really, I know they'll give me some story about fraud ... I'll just use
MCI instead."

I remember a few months ago we were discussing this very same thing,
and if I recall correctly, a letter was sent to the chairman of AT&T
via AT&T mail (or AT&T's in-house system, if not the same). What ever
came of this?

I'd be interested in knowing because I am considering writing to them
letting them know how inconvenient it was not to be able to get
through. Chances are that I'll never have to call there again, but
that misses the point. If I WANT to call there, I, as a customer in
good standing, should be allowed to. I am thoroughly upset by the
attitude which a company I (generally) have a great deal of respect
for seems to be willing to take, especially at a time like this when
it is very important for some people to get through.

I'm also interested in how legal this is ... I'm not up on common
carrier law or administrative law, but if someone who knows could
point me in the right direction maybe I could investigate this a bit.

And YES, I am up at 4AM typing this, probably becuase I am quite upset
with AT&T. (I feel like that guy in the AT&T ad at the payphone where
he always gets connected to Fiji ... but in this case I *AM* dealing
with AT&T!! :) )

Thanks for any info/help,

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu  //  dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

[Moderator's Note: Don't you love the bogus and totally stupid stories
the AT&T operators make up about these things?  Don't waste time with
them or their supervisors. I mean, 'a billing agreement between New
Jersey and Israel' ... now really.  When you get into a hassle trying
to place an international call with your AT&T card tell the operator
to connect you to the Pittsburgh IOC and that you don't want any
backtalk from her about it. A lady in our office had the same problem
from our *office* phone Thursday. About noon Thursday, recall that the
air raid sirens went off accidentally, and the television said Israel
had apparently been hit a second time. This lady is Jewish; some of
her family live in Israel. Her trouble is she is super honest about
the use of the office phones. We use several thousand dollars of AT&T
international calling each month; she could have easily just dialed
her family direct and the call would have passed unnoticed on the
office phone bill. But oh no! She doesn't believe in that, and instead
tried to dial it using her personal AT&T card so she would get the
bill. Despite the fact that AT&T had a positively identified
'bill-back' number (our office number showed on the operator's tube)
and despite the fact that our office does a large volume of business
with AT&T, the operator and her supervisor refused to honor this
lady's request!  It made me sick to think this lady is upset about her
family and AT&T wants to play games. I manage the phones in our office
and I am tempted to pull all sixteen of our dial one plus lines, our
T-1 and our tie lines away from AT&T and give them to Telecom*USA.
Then when our AT&T rep comes around to ask what I did that for, I'll
smile sweetly and say, "because your operator said there is no billing
agreement between New Jersey and Israel ..." as I forcibly walk him
out the door.  I'm growing increasingly disenchanted with AT&T and
their high-handed, and probably illegal discriminatory practices.  PAT]

am299bv@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Ravinder Bhumbla) (01/21/91)

In article <16204@accuvax.nwu.edu> DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas
Scott Reuben) writes:

>[the usual call-blocking experience, followed by misinformation from
>the operator about international call blocking

>I remember a few months ago we were discussing this very same thing,
>and if I recall correctly, a letter was sent to the chairman of AT&T
>via AT&T mail (or AT&T's in-house system, if not the same). What ever
>came of this?

>[Moderator's Note: Don't you love the bogus and totally stupid stories
>the AT&T operators make up about these things?  Don't waste time with
>them or their supervisors.

Some time back I had had the same trouble trying to call India and had
been told the same answer - "the call-blocking is at the request of
the country being called".  At the advice of the Moderator and on
receiving the e-mail address from another reader (I think it was
reallen@attmail.com - correct me if I am wrong), I had sent e-mail to
this address.  I had protested the blocking and the fact that the
operators were lying to me.

I received a call from the local AT&T office a couple of days later.
The lady apologized, said it was due to high rate of fraud, and said
that if I had trouble in the future, I could mention her name and ask
the operator/supervisor to override the call blocking.  I was also
told that I would be receiving written communication separately from
Mr. Allen (which, by the way, I never did).  I had posted all this in
this newsgroup.

Coincidentally, last week I had to dial India from a friend's home
phone.  I tried to use my AT&T Universal Card but after I entered the
card number, the call was intercepted by an operator.  She told me
that her computer showed that this call was not permitted.  I
protested that this was not even a payphone, but she was unyielding.

Then I remembered my previous experience and repeated the whole thing
to her including the the name of the representative who had called me.
I mentioned that the representative had advised me to ask the operator
to override the blocking.  To my surprise, the operator immediately
agreed.  However, it is impossible to get through to India on the
first attempt and I had to call again.  Again it was intercepted by an
operator (I don't know if it was the same one), and she put the call
through without any further questions.

So, I would suggest that you send e-mail to the above address or
contact the local AT&T office.  That way you might be able to talk to
the operator/supervisor and make an international call when you need
to.  I am sure that they'll not lift the call-blocking in general.

Ravinder Bhumbla   rbhumbla@ucsd.edu   Office Phone: (619) 534-7894

[Moderator's Note: Let me repeat that email address which flashed
across your screen a second ago in case you missed it, or didn't have
your pencil handy: reallen@attmail.com.  I certainly do not condone
long distance billing fraud, however this business of refusing service
to all credit card users because of the acts of a few phreaks is
wrong. Even if they refuse service to pay phones, why are they also
refusing service to private phones where the responsible party can
easily be identified?  Bank cards and other credit cards rely on
either the physical presence of the card when the transaction is going
on *or* the PIN, as in the case of bank ATM cards, or both. Why can't
AT&T rely on the PIN as a reasonable assurance the card is being used
by its rightful owner unless they are otherwise notified it is stolen?
When used with a card reader type phone, why can't the presence of the
card and the PIN serve as adequate proof for AT&T?  Instead of solving
the fraud problem, AT&T is taking an easy way out: just blackball
anyone calling several foreign countries.   PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (01/21/91)

Ravinder Bhumbla <rbhumbla@ucsd.edu> writes:

> So, I would suggest that you send e-mail to the above address or
> contact the local AT&T office.  That way you might be able to talk to
> the operator/supervisor and make an international call when you need
> to.  I am sure that they'll not lift the call-blocking in general.

You will recall a short time back that GTE Mobilnet had blocked (and
still does) IDDD from its mobile customers. A number of us who make
such calls bitterly complained and each one of us had IDDD reinstated
on our mobile units. Mobilnet did this quite readily without much of a
stink. Obviously, this is a tactic used by some common carriers to
deal with certain types of fraud: turn a service off to the general
subscribership and then reinstate it on a need-to-have basis
individually.

Somehow this seems to be a cheap and dirty way to solve a problem.
Rather than use creative means to improve security, the solution is to
just inconvenience the customers. It is a trend that goes on in this
country because we, the public, permit it. In telecommunications, as
with everything else, service to the customer has become a meaningless
concept. The customer is now expected to be grateful to receive any
value at all for his dollar, the terms being dictated by the
convenience and whim of the seller. The customer is always right?
Wrong! The customer is some scum that whose sole purpose is to provide
revenue to the company.

You and I are guilty of allowing this to fester by our passive
acceptance of this treatment. This is still the land of capitalism,
and until everything is "run by the government" (another trend,
suitable for discussion elsewhere), we the people are still able to
vote and speak with our pocketbooks. Instead of worrying about the
tastefulness or sensitivity of commercials, the politics of the
company's philanthopic gestures, or other, irrelavent issues, let us
be sure that we, the customers, are receiving product suitable to our
needs, provided in a professional manner with noticable concern our
satisfaction.

I could not care one twit whether AT&T's spots are relavent,
competent, or material. But being a user of international long
distance, I care whether that service is available in a timely and
convenient manner. If AT&T cannot provide it, then I (an otherwise
heavy AT&T customer) will take that business elsewhere and will let
AT&T know why.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: I am coming <<thisclose>> to yanking my business
from AT&T and giving it to some other carrier for this very reason and
others. I go into the phone center store on Devon Avenue to buy a
simple $50 phone over the weekend. Charge my AT&T equipment account, I
ask them. The clerk spends ** fifteen minutes ** on the phone with
'credit' somewhere ... and they can't find my account, even when I
read them the number from the bill for $20-plus they send me every
three months for a two-line turn-button set I still lease. Finally I
left and went down the street to Radio Shack and bought the phone.

But you know the really sad thing, John? You could quit them, I could
quit them, *everyone on this list could quit them* !! and they
wouldn't know the difference.

I get *five* monthly bills from AT&T: Two for my cellular phones' long
distance because AT&T says they can't be combined; one from AT&T Mail;
one for phone leasing; one long distance bill. That is only my
personal accounts -- my office gets a few more. Had they figured out a
way to sell me the phone in the store Saturday I'd start getting a
sixth monthly bill for that. AT&T won't accept their own card for
their store and forward service; for international calls to several
countries or for *anywhere* if god forbid I should be standing at a
payphone in the wrong place. I should give them the whole works back
with 'thanks, but no thanks, let me know when you are in a position to
serve customers without lying to them and wasting their time.'  PAT]