[comp.dcom.telecom] Recording Phone Calls

michels@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MICHELS DAVID) (01/13/91)

It used to be, when answering machines were first becoming popular,
that the conversation recording feature always put out a tone every
few seconds. Not anymore, now many of them seem to provide silent
recording. Have the laws or just ethics changed?

Is recording of telephone conversations legal, or is it required to
notify all participants involved before-hand? I would assume recording
for 'personal use' is legal, just as it is legal to record TV shows
and copy software. But that's just a hunch, anybody know the real
answer or how to find out??

[Moderator's Note: State laws vary. Check yours with an attorney. The
tone signal was/is a convenient way not to 'forget' to notify the
other party ... but merely notice is required; not any specific kind
of notice. It is adequate to announce (on the recording itself at the
start of the call) that you are recording it, and record the other
person's assent to what you are doing.   PAT]

peterm@sumax.seattleu.edu (Peter Marshall) (01/14/91)

Re: David Michels' 1/13 post; wonder if there's intentional linkage to
the recent discussion of workplace monitoring here? If so, what's the
relationship, and how to readers see any interplay between these
areas?

However, the Moderator contradicts himself in his reply to David -- he
is indeed correct that state laws vary on interception and recording,
but since some of these very state laws require prior consent of one
or all parties, it is not the case, therefore, that in blanket fashion
"merely notice is required."

Peter Marshall

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (01/14/91)

In article <72174@bu.edu.bu.edu> you write:

>It used to be, when answering machines were first becoming popular,
>that the conversation recording feature always put out a tone every
>few seconds. Not anymore, now many of them seem to provide silent
>recording. Have the laws or just ethics changed?

>Is recording of telephone conversations legal, or is it required to
>notify all participants involved before-hand? I would assume recording
>for 'personal use' is legal, just as it is legal to record TV shows
>and copy software. But that's just a hunch, anybody know the real
>answer or how to find out??

Here's what the Pacific Bell White Pages have to say about the
subject:

"Federal and State tariffs state that for a telephone conversation to
be recorded, one of the following conditions must be met:

"1.  All parties being recorded must give their prior consent to being
recorded; or,

"2.  All parties being recorded must hear a 'beep' tone approximately every
15 seconds.

"Exemptions to these provisions apply to commercial broadcasting
purposes when the person being recorded has been informed."

The two rules seem very common-sense to me.  I have on several
occasions recorded conversations between my and merchants when there
has been a dispute or I expect there to be one.  In particular, calls
to the Business Office for local service changes to my phones get
recorded.  Since my service orders tend to be more complicated than
most that the Residence office deals with, they have the tendency to
be messed up.  This way, I can establish without question just who's
mistake it was.

By the way, I use my Panasonic KT-T1427 answering machine to record.
It generates the fifteen second tone automatically.  A couple of times
I've had people ask me "what kind of phone are you calling from?"
When I mention that the tone indicates that the call is being
recorded, the person on the other end without exception has been
surprised and didn't know what the tone meant.  I tell them that it is
being done for my protection so that I can establish without question
exactly what I have requested.  For the people that don't say
anything, I don't know if they are aware of what it means, or just
ignore it.

Once I had a rep deny permission after I explained the purpose of the
tone.  I then turned off the recorder.  This was about ten minutes
into the conversation, so I asked her why she didn't speak up at the
beginning.  She said that she had "no way of knowing what the tone was
for."  I didn't go into it further, but are there really that many
people that don't know what a tone at regular intervals during a
telephone calls means?  I explained that I had met my obligation under
the tariff to provide notice, but seemed to be beside the point.

Note that mostly, it is not worth my while to record.  Only when a
mistake in the order, such as a change in long distance carriers, will
cost me a lot in terms of money or hassle to correct do I find it
worth the effoct.

Steve Forrette, forrette@cpry.berkeley.edu

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (01/17/91)

Steve Forrette, forrette@cpry.berkeley.edu, talks about a beep at
fifteen-second intervals.

I remember hearing this on phoned-in radio news reports years ago
(despite the California exemption for broadcasters), but the only time
I've heard a tone line that recently was a year or so ago when I was
interviewing a public relations person for Alberta Government
Telephones. Presumably he was taping the conversation (and all other
telephone interviews he did) so that he would be in a better position
to complain if he felt that he was misquoted.

Nigel Allen    ndallen@contact.uucp

herbison@ultra.enet.dec.com (B.J. 17-Jan-1991 1000) (01/17/91)

In Volume 11 Issue 43, Rob Knauerhase asked:

> [Side question: does anyone know how such a recording system might
> work?  Loop tape of a certain length, I'd assume...]

Your question was in respect to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.  I
don't know what they do, but I do know how one large financial firm
operated.

A couple of years ago I had a problem (since resolved) with my account
at a large financial institution.  The problem was compounded when a
service representative lied to me about the state of my account.
Fortunately, the institution recorded all calls so the lie was
recorded.  In the process of clearing things up, I asked a few
questions about the recording process.

The person who lied to me was part of an office that handled up to
sixty simultaneous conversations with customers.  I was told they had
a machine that recorded all conversations on a sixty track tape.  The
tape was changed every twelve hours.  They kept the tapes for six
months so they could be reviewed if a problem arose.  They also kept
records of which representatives were talking on which track at which
times.

If you could give the approximate time of a call and the name of the
representative, they could search for the call fairly easily.  They
now give out confirmation numbers, and I assume those numbers contain
a direct or indirect key for accessing the conversation in their tape
library.

B.J.

Michel_Denber.WBST147@xerox.com (01/18/91)

	"[Side question: does anyone know how such a recording system
might work?  Loop tape of a certain length, I'd assume...]"

I had occasion to stop by our local (Brighton, N.Y.) police HQ last
year.  In the office in plain view on a table was a large 1/4"
reel-to-reel tape deck with 10" reels turning at what looked like 1
7/8 ips (the standard "slow" speed for reel-to-reel).  It was
recording both phone conversations and police radio.  It also had a
digital clock on it that looked like it was counting in SMPTE time
codes, so I would guess it records time data as well as voice.  I
didn't ask how long they kept the tapes.

Michel

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (01/21/91)

In article <16076@accuvax.nwu.edu> forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve
Forrette) writes:

>"Federal and State tariffs state that for a telephone conversation to
>be recorded, one of the following conditions must be met:

>"2.  All parties being recorded must hear a 'beep' tone approximately every
>15 seconds.

Just FYI, apparently the Ohio State Highway Patrol records all
incoming calls, and uses only the 15-second beep.  My mother, who has
called them several times to check interstate highway conditions, was
annoyed enough by the beep (present even when they put her on hold) to
ask about it.

    I don't know many people who read the front of the White Pages
(_Telecom_ readers excepted :), but I can't offhand think of any
better way to inform the general public of the significance of the
fifteen-second beep.

[Side question: does anyone know how such a recording system might
work?  Loop tape of a certain length, I'd assume...]

Rob Knauerhase, knauer@cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois, Department of Computer Science