[comp.dcom.telecom] Detecting the End of an Incoming Call

dbb@aicchi.chi.aic.com (Ben Burch) (01/18/91)

In the US (and I imagine that the UK is similar since we can exchange
hardware) many (not all) COs return a "disconnect pulse" when a call
terminates.  The width of this pulse varies from 100 ms to 500 ms
depending on the type of switch you are connected to.  The pulse is
simply a loss of loop current.  You can often tell if this happens
with a lighted dial phone.  If the light blinks after a caller hangs
up, then you get the pulses.  In the hardware I've worked on, we use
an opto and a couple of diodes to detect both ringing and loop
current.

Ben Burch
dbb@aicchi.chi.aic.com

ruck@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John Ruckstuhl) (01/21/91)

In article <16083@accuvax.nwu.edu> abm88@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Morley A.B.)
writes:

>Does anyone know how I go about detecting the end of an *incoming*
>call on an ordinary residential line?  I thought I once read that
>the voltage changes or someting.  I am in the UK.

My answering machine (a Sony ITA-500) cannot reliably detect the end
of an incoming call on an ordinary residential line.  My previous
answering machine (a PhoneMate) had the same problem, and I always
blamed the machine until I saw the problem on the new answering
machine.  The problem causes great confusion, sometimes leaving the
machine in an error state which might cause lost messages :(

A Southern Bell serviceman visited, and said my line was as clean as
they get!  I explained my problem, but he couldn't help me.

BTW, I did my simple inside wiring -- 30' of two pair from the inside
block dead-ending at the jack for the answering machine, and another
20' of 2pr from the inside block to a dead-end with a jack.

What should be my next step?

(Also, has anyone converted a Sony ITA-500 to an ITA-600?  The 600 is
a "speaker-phone"; the 500 just has "on-hook dialing")

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr   University of Florida  ruck@cis.ufl.edu, uflorida!ruck