[comp.dcom.telecom] Telecom and the Mideast Crisis

ehopper@attmail.com (01/18/91)

These are the AT&T releases on the war:

AT&T ADVISORIES *** There was an extraordinary surge of calling to the
Middle East during the first five hours after war erupted (7 p.m. to
midnight EST).  There was significant blocking of international calls
last night, and some international calls are still being blocked to
some countries.  International calling volumes remain very heavy into
andoutof the Middle East.  From 7 p.m. to midnight EST last night, the
domestic AT&T network experienced almost 25% increase in calling
volume.  Despite this, the network continued to function within normal
ranges.  There was no significant blocking.

*** AT&T and other companies have received numerous bomb threats
during the past few days.  AT&T received several such threats
yesterday.  On investigation all such threats appear to be unfounded
to date.

*** 8 A.M. EST FLASH -- As of 8 a.m. this morning, the AT&T network is
operating normally.  We are experiencing no significant problems with
domestic calling.  Calling to and from Iraq ceased shortly after air
attacks began there, and we have not been able to re-establish
communications.  International calling remains heavy.  Calls are
getting through.  However, some customers may hear a recording that
circuits are busy.  Operators can assist if necessary, but we
recommend at the present time that customers delay international calls
to the Middle East region.  There have been no reports of injury to
AT&T employees or damage to any company property or equipment
domestically or overseas.

AT&T IN THE NEWS *** WAR WORDS -- Phone lines were jammed as people
tried to make contact with loved ones.  Domestic lines were busier,
but nothing like international lines.  Within 90 minutes, phone
traffic had returned to normal, except one, said AT&T's Lynn Newman.
"At 7:03 p.m., we lost all direct circuits to Iraq."  [USA Today] ***
At AT&T facilities in Kansas City and elsewhere, security manpower has
been increased, spokesman Fran Anderson said.  Employees have been
briefed on new security procedures, she said, declining to discuss
details.  US Sprint also has reviewed security matters with employees
and stepped up its security efforts, even though it has received no
immediate threats. [KC Star] *** Long-distance lines in the U.S. are
"particularly unprotected" and could be targets of terrorist attacks,
a high ranking U.S. senator who serves on a Select Committee for
Intelligence warned colleagues earlier this month.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) is proposing a three-step plan to assess
"key vulnerabilities" that could be targets for such international
terrorists as Abu Nidal who, Hatch said, is in Baghdad and "ready to
resume business."  The Utah senator said that although the FBI has
taken some "preliminary stop-gap measures" to warn private companies
of the potential of terrorist attack, he favors a national plan that
would first assess "vulnerable technologies," then establish
protection standards and a plan to build "redundancy" into systems so
that downtime would be eliminated should a terrorist attack be
successful.  James Messenger, an AT&T spokesman, said the company's
Bell Labs have been working on network reliability features for its
underground cables since 1984, but that the Jan. 4 break was "rather
extraordinary." [Long-Distance Letter, 1/91]

abm88@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Morley A.B.) (01/21/91)

In <16146@accuvax.nwu.edu> ehopper@attmail.com writes:

>*** AT&T and other companies have received numerous bomb threats
>during the past few days.  AT&T received several such threats

Can anyone tell me whay anyone would wish to bomb telecommunications
sites?  Is it AT&T in particular or all telecom companies?

Andrew Morley, abm88@uk.ac.soton.ecs

[Moderator's Note: The same people who propose these 'solutions' are
the same ones who propose terrorizing the post office. For the past
week, the post office I use has had *no* wastebaskets; *no* mail
receptacles inside the building; *no* convenience lockers where you
insert a few coins to rent a little locked compartment for a few
hours. All but one entrance is locked, at a location of the building
which is inconvenient to me. Many of the banks have their night
deposit slots blocked off. All the federal building toilet facilities
are closed to the public. Something tells me I am going to be tired of
this war in more ways than one before it is over ... and just now on
the television President Bush said 'everything is right on schedule'.
Ha! and double ha!   PAT]