[comp.dcom.telecom] Dr. Stoll's Secure Phone Calls

roeber@cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu (Frederick Roeber) (01/12/91)

I believe the confusion over the "secure phone" mentioned in the book,
The Cuckoo's Egg, arises from Dr. Stoll describing a few phone calls
he received: One day, he answered his phone only to hear a recording
"This is not a secure phone..."  The person on the other end hung up
and tried again, with the same result.  After a couple tries, he
finally got through, and was able to start questioning Dr. Stoll.  Dr.
Stoll replied, "This is not a secure phone..."

A friend of mine, who does military security work, said this is the
result of calling a non-secure phone from the government's secure
phone system and trying to initiate a secure call.  When making a
secure call on this system, one first makes an ordinary phone call --
over any network, FTS, AT&T, or whoever.  When the other end has been
reached, one presses the `secure' button.  This makes each end call
the main computer that controls the secure phone system.  Through an
encrypted conversation, the main computer sends each phone two
numbers: a key with which they can communicate with each other (for
that conversation only), and a key to be used for the next call to the
main computer.  Then the main computer drops out, and the phones can
send encrypted traffic to each other.  Of course, if you hit `secure'
when other end is a regular phone, the main computer realizes it can't
set up an encrypted link, and plays the warning message.  It also logs
the attempt.

So Dr. Stoll need not have been anywhere near a secure phone to get
such a call.

Frederick G.M. Roeber | e-mail: roeber@caltech.edu or roeber@vxcern.cern.ch
r-mail: CERN/PPE, 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland | telephone: +41 22 767 31 80

russell@spdcc.com (Tim Russell) (01/13/91)

In article <72160@bu.edu.bu.edu> roeber@cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu
(Frederick Roeber) writes:

>A friend of mine, who does military security work, said this is the
>result of calling a non-secure phone from the government's secure
>phone system and trying to initiate a secure call.  When making a
>secure call on this system, one first makes an ordinary phone call --
>over any network, FTS, AT&T, or whoever.  When the other end has been
>reached, one presses the `secure' button.

    Quite true - my brother works as an engineer for a government
contract company in Dallas that produces a new phone switch used,
among other places, at Cheyenne Mountain.

    He was telling me that their system has this feature, where
someone who calls in first hears a computer-played "Go secure"
repeated over and over, then once they do that, connects them with
their party.

    Anyway, the thing that's neat is that the message is his voice
digitized, so his voice will be heard if/when "the big one" comes.

Tim Russell   Omaha NE   russell@spdcc.com

dag@uunet.uu.net (Alex Darren Griffiths) (01/15/91)

(Frederick Roeber) writes:

>A friend of mine, who does military security work, said this is the
>result of calling a non-secure phone from the government's secure
>phone system and trying to initiate a secure call.  When making a
>secure call on this system, one first makes an ordinary phone call --
>over any network, FTS, AT&T, or whoever.  When the other end has been
>reached, one presses the `secure' button.

I worked in the office next to Cliff at Lawrence Berkeley Labs for a
year or so, including part of the time documented in the book "The
Cookoo's Egg".  While Lawrence Livermore Labs is crawling with spooks,
special phones and phone networks I can assure you that nothing like
that existed at LBL.  Both Cliff and I simply had the standard PacBell
phones everyone at the lab was issued and the standard government
issue FTS lines.  The FTS lines were publicised as a cost saving
measure for calls between labs, we certainly didn't know of any
encryption on the lines and neither of us had anything like a secure
button, in fact the only security we had came from shutting the office
door when talking to our girlfriends (I, for one, didn't care who
listened when speaking to slimy spooks and I don't believe Cliff did
either).

I suspect that any calls back to the lab were made so the spooks could
be sure of the person they were talking to.  They already had Cliff's
number and it's unlikely someone would sneek into his office and
pretend to be him, although considering the security at LBL it would
not be to difficult.

After Cliff left the lab for a year or so I did here that there was a
"special" phone somewhere, but I've no idea where it is at the lab or
what makes it special.

Cheers,

darren griffiths
dag%speedo%pgne@uunet.uu.net  (I know the address is gross but I only
design networks now, I don't run them, thank god, so don't blame me.)

namerow@pokvmcr3.iinus1.ibm.com (Wayne G. Namerow) (01/21/91)

I spoke with Cliff Stoll yesterday and informed him of the Telecom
discussion regarding his 'secure' phone call. Cliff stated (quote) 'I
have no idea what the guy was talking about' refering to the statement
about calling back on a 'secure line'. Cliff suspected that it was
fluff and that the guy just called him back normally.

Cliff also said that he rarely reads any forums any longer, but he can
be contacted directly at: cliff@cfa.harvard.edu.  Or through Compuserve...

Wayne