[comp.dcom.telecom] Brochure: Resale of Multi-Location WATS Discount

kravitz@ucsd.edu (01/18/91)

   Below is the article from the Ramona California Chamber of Commerce
newsletter which prompted my previous article.  This article was how I
came to know of the service.  When I called the Chamber office about
this article, they told me that a presentation had been given at the
last Chamber meeting by the United Wats people, and that a brochure
was available.  I went to the Chamber offices today to get the
brochure.  I think the salesman I talked to at the marketing company
assumed that I had the brochure in hand when I called him, which was
not the case.  I might have considered him less evasive if I had had
the brochure in hand when I talked with him.  I will provide a digest
of the brochure in a future article.

   I've blanked out the last four digits of the 800 number (all three
instances were the same), as I don't wish to advertise their service
on the net.  I've not blanked out the "exchange" field of the 800
number, as I hope someone will look it up and see who the carrier is.

	AT&T DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE TO CHAMBER MEMBERS

  Ramona Chamber members can save up to 31 percent on AT&T long
distance calling without changing anything on their current AT&T
service and initiate the discounts by calling 1-800-233-****.

     The discounts apply to AT&T's regular direct dial long distance,
PRO WATS, WATS and MEGACOM services.

   The discounts appear directly on your regular monthly bill and
appear in the next month's billing round.  There is no fee to initiate
the discounts with the AT&T-United Wats Program, only a monthly
membership fee which can be as low as $10, depending upon the
particular AT&T service and the volume of calling.

   As a special service to Ramona Chamber members, each member who
takes advantage of the AT&T United Wats plan can receive free
telecommunications consultation via the 1-800-233-**** hotline.
Members can call any time to receive answers to questions on
telecommunications goods and services.

   For more information and to take advantage of the program, call the
United Wats member number at 1-800-233-****.  Please be sure to
identify yourself as a member when signing up for the program.

Below is the article from the Ramona CA Chamber of Commerce newsletter
which prompted my previous article.

[Moderator's Note: But the newsletter article did not show up. All I
got was the brochure, as per above. However I think we get the point
of it anyway. Thanks to Jody for typing it in.  PAT]

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (01/23/91)

In article <16179@accuvax.nwu.edu>, foxtail!kravitz@ucsd.edu writes:

>    Below is the article from the Ramona California Chamber of Commerce
> newsletter which prompted my previous article.  This article was how I
> came to know of the service.  When I called the Chamber office about
[story and quotation of brochure truncated]

It is a reasonably ordinary aggregation.  The WATS (outgoing) tariffs
allow volume discounts going up to 21% the first year and 22% after
that.  The discounts start at 17.5%.  There is an additional discount
of 4.5% or 5.something % on top of the base discount.  These all have
clever AT&T marketing names.  I have understood the details three
different times while I was looking at Dr. Self's newsletter about the
AT&T tariffs.  (Never five minutes later.)

If you are spending between $2000 or $5000 on the low end and $10,000
or $15,000 per month on long distance, The Watts Association, another
aggregator, can reduce that bill by giving you access to their
discounts for a membership fee.  The Watts Association is at 22% and
5.3% (I think the second one is).  The membership fee is intended to
be a third to a half of your savings, and is a fixed amount agreed at
signup.

The limits come because 1) the minimum membership fee is $25 per month
and the savings have to be big enough to justify it, 2) at the high
end you can get the same discounts direct from AT&T without the
membership fee.

Why do I know anything about this?  I sell it.

dan herrick    Aricol Communications   POBox 1419   Mentor  Ohio  44061
(216)974-9637       herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com