[comp.dcom.telecom] ISDN Links in UK

own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) (01/24/91)

I have a question about ISDN, sparked of by the recent anouncements of
BT providing ISDN links in the UK (albeit a low performance system)
and Gandalf having some ISDN equipment approved.

Will you need any special lines for ISDN transmission, or will this
system work on any phone line?  If the later applies this is pretty
amazing when considering current modem speeds. (64k/sec is promised?)
What is it about ISDN that allows such greater performances?

 Olly Morgan @ Scottish Agricultural College,  Edinburgh EH9 2HH, Scotland
               Tel: (+44 31) 662 4395          E.Mail: O.Morgan@ed.ac.uk

richi@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Jennings) (01/24/91)

Olly Morgan writes:

> Will you need any special lines for ISDN transmission, or will this
> system work on any phone line?  If the later applies this is pretty
> amazing when considering current modem speeds. (64k/sec is promised?)
> What is it about ISDN that allows such greater performances?

ISDN is completely digital - it will run over the existing copper pair
from the switch to the subscriber - subject to the PTT (BT in this
case) approving the results of a BERT (Bit Error Rate Test).  Of
course, you must be on a digital exchange.

Hope this helps,

Richard Jennings, Software Development Engineer
Pinewood Information Systems Division,    the home of HP's Advanced
 Image Management System (HP AIMS),
 AdvanceLink, OpenMail and Multi-media communications
 Hewlett-Packard
 Nine Mile Ride      Voice: (+44)/(0) 344 763738      ADMD=GOLD 400    C=GB
 Wokingham           Fax:   (+44)/(0) 344 763526       OU1=Pinewood  ORG=hp
 Berkshire RG11 3LL  E-mail: richi@hpopd.pwd.hp.com     GN=Richard  PRMD=hp
 England             or:     richi@hpopd.pwd.hp.co.uk   SN=Jennings