[comp.dcom.telecom] Weird Noises on Middle East Phone Circuits

slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve L. Rhoades) (01/23/91)

Has anyone else noticed the high-pitched series of tones on some of
the phoned in news reports from the Middle East?

These tones are in the 10 - 20 Khz range and are barely audible.
There doesn't seem to be a set pattern, but they seem to occur about
once every sixty seconds.  It's a series of about four different
tones, all high-pitched, lasting about a second each.

Thoughts, anyone?

Internet: slr@caltech.edu           | Voice-mail: (818) 794-6004
UUCP: elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!tybalt!slr | USmail: Box 1000, Mt. Wilson, Ca.  91023

meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) (01/25/91)

In article <16327@accuvax.nwu.edu> slr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve L.
Rhoades) writes:

>These tones are in the 10 - 20 Khz range and are barely audible.
>There doesn't seem to be a set pattern, but they seem to occur about
>once every sixty seconds.  It's a series of about four different
>tones, all high-pitched, lasting about a second each.

How did you determine that they were in the 10-20 khz range?

I suspect anything higher than 3.4 khz originates on this side.

Rolf Meier	Mitel Corporation