[comp.dcom.telecom] Getting Blitzed by an AT&T Aggregrator

syd@dsinc.dsi.com (Syd Weinstein) (01/23/91)

[to telecom readers, this message is also being forwarded by
myself to reallen@attmail.com]

Well, tonight I got blitzed.  A series of persistent calls from one of
those computer outdial machines blitzed our exchange trying all of our
inbound numbers in order, including the modem lines.  The pitch, save
money on AT&T long distance from AT&T by a marketing group which
barely stayed over the line of misrepresentation of saying they were
AT&T.  If I wasn't a comp.dcom.telecom reader, I would have thought
they were AT&T.

The message did not identify the group, just gave a rather long speil
(I listened to it once to see if it ever gave a company name) then
asked for name, address, average monthly phone bill and telephone
number.

It was also persistent, if you didn't listen long enough to get to the
prompts for the info (ie the entire speil) it called you back.

I was not pleased that our entire bank of lines got hit, needless to
say in number order.

I am sure that AT&T operators got the bad end of this by people
telling them to stop calling.  Perhaps AT&T can force the aggregrators
to identify themselves as that more clearly.

It doesn't help AT&T's image any when this happens, it makes the
telemarketers look good.  At least those you can tell your bank of
lines and they skip them, they don't want to waste their time either.

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP     Elm Coordinator
Datacomp Systems, Inc.            Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd          FAX:   (215) 938-0235

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (01/25/91)

In article <16338@accuvax.nwu.edu>, syd@dsinc.dsi.com (Syd Weinstein)
writes:

[ an article describing a telemarketing machine selling
AT&T-agregator toll service]

> It doesn't help AT&T's image any when this happens, it makes the
> telemarketers look good.  At least those you can tell your bank of
> lines and they skip them, they don't want to waste their time either.

Here in central NJ, we have been blitzed by a local dealer selling
AT&T's home-security systems.  Their systems have called our lines, in
number sequence, three or four times over the past three weeks.  The
recording mentions AT&T several times before identifying the local
dealer in an almost parenthetical tone.

I called the local dealer and told them that if their machine
continued calling the same numbers, I would consider it harassment,
and would report it as such to local law-enforcement authorities.

I have just subscribed to Call*Block service from NJ Bell.  My
intention is to use this service to prevent inbound calls from a
certain telemarketing company in Bound Brook.  They call almost every
day, with a different advertising message, from a different local
business, each time.  The Caller*ID indicates that it's from the same
number every time.  That number is now the first one on the list of
callers I don't want to hear from.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900	Fax: 908 647 6857

[Moderator's Note: Over here it is known as 'call screening'. Isn't it
a wonderful thing!  *60 #01# adds the 'last call received' to the list
of numbers blocked whether you know the number or not. *69 calls back
the last call you received so you can give them a taste of their own
medicine if you feel like it.  PAT]