[comp.dcom.telecom] Unusually Heavy Traffic the First Night?

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (01/21/91)

I was wondering what effect the announcement of the start of the war
had on local phone systems last week?

I was down at the Chicago Public Library doing some production work
for the Chicagoland Radio Information Service. (This is a closed
circuit SCA radio station serving the visually handicapped residents
in northern Illinois; I've done work for them for several years.)

Someone came in my recording studio and told me we were at war ... I
watched the television for a couple minutes then tried to call my
home. The library centrex (312-269) was giving very slow dial tone,
and the first few attempts I made were met with re-order or an 'all
circuits are busy now' recording.  I used my cell phone and had the
call bounce a couple times also; but it went through on the third try.

Other than for about fifteen minutes at the start of the war,
connections here appear to be moving smoothly.  What experiences did
you have in other places?

On a related note, how are net connections to the middle east being
maintained at this time?  Are any sites able to get through at all
with news?

PAT

carroll@ssc-vax.uucp (Jeff Carroll) (01/25/91)

In article <16229@accuvax.nwu.edu> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:

>Other than for about fifteen minutes at the start of the war,
>connections here appear to be moving smoothly.  What experiences did
>you have in other places?

I imagine that here at Boeing our leased lines were probably tied up
all over the metro area, but that happens every time it snows :^).

>On a related note, how are net connections to the middle east being
>maintained at this time?  Are any sites able to get through at all
>with news?

I just fingered vms.huji.ac.il, a VAX at the Hebrew University of
Jerusalem; it responded promptly with the following:

[128.139.4.3]
Friday, January 25, 1991 3:30AM-GMT   Up 10 03:52:57
4+4 Jobs   Load ave  3.04 3.02 3.06

 User    Personal Name          Job   Subsys   Idle  TTY   Console Location
DEKEL    Avishai Dekel       204001DB *DCL*     1:49.nty26 TCP: galaxy.huji.ac.
SERAN    Eran Megido         20402D7C BMAIL          nty1  TCP: ls2.huji.ac.il
SIMON    Simon Shickman      20400144 *DCL*     6:41.nty13 TCP: horizon.huji.ac
TZVI1    Tsvi Kidron         204006B7 *DCL*     9:40.nty8  TCP: carmel.cc.huji.

Life seems to be going on in Jerusalem...

Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

[Moderator's Note: Well, Adolph -- er, I mean Saddam seems to not be
bothering Jerusalem at all; it is Tel Aviv which is getting the rough
time this past week. Are sites there still connected?  PAT]