[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Blocking International Calls, Again

barefoot@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Heath Roberts) (01/24/91)

Pat writes:

>The only thing is he forgot to pay the bill. He skipped out of one
>apartment owing AT&T some $50,000 in *one month* and got a new
>apartment elsewhere where he did the same scam a second month to the
>tune of $45,000.  PAT

I have a hard time believing this: a year or so ago, Southern Bell
sent me a notice saying that I was over my $250 long distance credit
limit about halfway through the billing month. Once I called the
business office to check on the situation, they said it wasn't a
problem to increase the limit, but that all accounts have some limit
to prevent large losses due to fraud. My carrier was also AT&T. It
seems that someone would question a phone bill to an _apartment_ of
more than a few thousand dollars. Did the {Tribune} cite a source for
these figures?

Heath Roberts
NCSU Computer and Technologies Theme Program
barefoot@catt.ncsu.edu

[Moderator's Note: I suspect the {Tribune} just worked from the same
AT&T press release as everyone else who received it including me.  PAT]

Barton.Bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (01/25/91)

In article <16291@accuvax.nwu.edu>, DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu
(Douglas Scott Reuben) writes:

> Hopefully, I will get a response which will explain why AT&T continues
> to do this, yet after reading some of the other posts, I won't hold my
> breath! :(

Buy a share of AT&T stock, and ask him at a stockholder's meeting.

If you prefer, write to shareholder relations and explain your
frustration and intended action, and ask for whatever info you are
entitled to to be sure you will be heard at the meeting. I bet your
message will not be ignored, but the lesson you get from their PR
types may make you sick.

[Moderator's Note: That is the reason why I can't recommend that
people send letters to customer service or public relations
departments. Those folks are NOT in a position to make the changes you
request. Their job is merely to buffer your calls and letters so the
people at the top don't have to read them or think about anything
much. If you are going to write email, send it to the places it will
do the most good -- to the chairmen and managers of companies.  PAT]