[comp.dcom.telecom] Accessing AT&T

lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars Poulsen) (01/24/91)

In article <16295@accuvax.nwu.edu> Jack Dominey writes to address the
complaint that ATT does not provide access to its long distance
service via 950-0288 or an 800-number:

> The issue
> of access to the network via 800 and 950-XXXX numbers is being fought
> by the lodging industry.  Hotel owners hate the idea of reprogramming
> their PBX's to provide free 10-XXX access.  They (generally) allow
> free 800 and local calls, so they want AT&T to use those methods, too.

> AT&T's position, as I understand it, is that 10-XXX is the agreed-upon
> universal access method (through Bellcore?), and hotels will have to
> live with it.  To answer the inevitable, "All the other carriers use
> 800 and 950 access, why can't AT&T?": Other carriers built their
> networks to operate in a non-equal-access environment, so 800 and 950
> access are integral to their design.  AT&T's network was always the
> default, so the other access methods were never included.  I haven't
> seen any official estimates of the cost of building such access now,
> but I doubt it would be either cheap or easy.

While this is a nice try from the PR department, it just does not cut
it. The argument is technically flawed, two ways:

(1) 10288 is indeed the standard access method, but there seems to be
no way for ATT to provide access without billing the calls back to the
originating line. The reason the PBX operators are blocking 10XXX is
not to make trouble, but to prevent getting billed for unauthorized
calls. I am sure this could be alleviated by ATT by defining a class
of service for designated subscriber numbers, that disallow calls
without third-party billing. (I think there is enough processing power
in the POP to manage this).

(2) It would be trivial for the end office to deliver the 950-0/1XXX
calls to the same routing as 10XXX calls with an appropriate
type-of-service indication. This may in fact already be implemented in
the software. I think the 950-YXXX numbers are predefined so that the
last three digits map directly to the same carrier codes as 10XXX
selector codes. But there may well be tariff barriers to this
solution.

It would be more elegant for ATT to push for the second solution, thus
putting the burden of software changes nominally on the LECs.

Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (01/24/91)

Responding to Lars Poulsen <lars@spectrum.cmc.com> in Digest V11, #62.

>(1) 10288 is indeed the standard access method, but there seems to be
>no way for ATT to provide access without billing the calls back to the
>originating line. The reason the PBX operators are blocking 10XXX is
>not to make trouble, but to prevent getting billed for unauthorized
>calls.

You can certainly make third-party billed calls using 10288-0.  I've
done it from COCOT's on several occassions.  Why can't hotels block
10XXX-1 and allow 10XXX-0? Hotel lines can be identified to the
operator, who would not allow calls to be billed directly. Better
still, hotels could allow 10XXX-1 calls and charge them directly to
the room.  Maybe I'm too honest by nature, but I really don't
understand where the unauthorized billing problem comes from.

>(2) It would be trivial for the end office to deliver the 950-0/1XXX
>calls to the same routing as 10XXX calls with an appropriate
>type-of-service indication. This may in fact already be implemented in
>the software. I think the 950-YXXX numbers are predefined so that the
>last three digits map directly to the same carrier codes as 10XXX
>selector codes. But there may well be tariff barriers to this
>solution.

I'm probably wading in over my head here, but ... isn't there a
difference in the class of access between 950-YXXX and 10XXX?  I refer
to the access the LD carrier purchases from the local exchange
company.  The LEC's would probably be more than happy to provide 950
access for AT&T - as long as AT&T pays for it. If I'm right - please
correct me otherwise - then AT&T winds up paying for extra access
capacity specifically for this purpose.

My own opinion is that AT&T should provide as many methods to reach
the network as possible, including 950 and 800 access.  As a lowly
salesdrone, I have only a hazy comprehension of all the issues
involved, I admit.  But aren't we talking about software changes
throughout the routing system and large-scale changes to billing
systems (both AT&T's and the LEC's - AT&T would pay for both)?  I
still maintain that it wouldn't be cheap or easy, however desirable.

Ed_Greenberg@3mail.3com.com (01/25/91)

Lars Poulsen <lars@spectrum.cmc.com> writes:

> The reason the PBX operators are blocking 10XXX is not to make
> trouble, but to prevent getting billed for unauthorized calls. I am
> sure this could be alleviated by ATT by defining a class of service
> for designated subscriber numbers, that disallow calls without third-
> party billing. (I think there is enough processing power in the POP
> to manage this).

Actually, 10xxx processing takes place at the RBOC (or other operating
company) facility.  There already _is_ a class of service that would
allow this ... a coinless public phone, for example.  There are other
classes of service, including a predefined hotel/motel class of
service that allowed the hotel industry to serve the travelling
community for years.

The hotel switches could also be programmed to allow 10xxx+0+ dialing,
but not 10xxx+1+ dialing.  Bally's in Las Vegas has this programming.
They charge .50/call for access of this nature.  It may be expensive,
considering what you're paying for the room, but at least you know how
much it will be, and can reorder the line with '#' afterwards for
another call.

It should also be remembered that the hotel isn't sunk if a call gets
ticketed on AT&T.  After all, they have a record of the call on their
call detail recorder, and can add it to your hotel bill.

The reason (IMHO) that hotels won't allow this sort of dialing is that
they'd rather route the calls through their contracted Alternative
Operator Service (AOS) which will (a) rape the customer and (b) kick
back a significant portion of the proceeds to the hotel.

Occasionally I find a hotel that has dial tone in their pairs, rather
than sleeze tone. In fact, the number of such hotels is increasing.
The majority I've experienced however, treat the phone as a profit
center, and have jumped firmly on the newest telecom bandwagon --
"caveat emptor as long as we can get away with it."

In my post about Las Vegas, I neglected to mention (so will mention
here) that the sets in the hotel had RJ-11's in them marked Data port.
A nice touch.

Ed_Greenberg@HQ.3Mail.3Com.COM

Barton.Bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (01/25/91)

In article <16367@accuvax.nwu.edu>, lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars
Poulsen) writes:

> In article <16295@accuvax.nwu.edu> Jack Dominey writes to address the
> complaint that ATT does not provide access to its long distance
> service via 950-0288 or an 800-number:

>> The issue
>> of access to the network via 800 and 950-XXXX numbers is being fought
>> by the lodging industry.  Hotel owners hate the idea of reprogramming
>> their PBX's to provide free 10-XXX access.  They (generally) allow

> (1) 10288 is indeed the standard access method, but there seems to be
> no way for ATT to provide access without billing the calls back to the
> originating line. The reason the PBX operators are blocking 10XXX is
> not to make trouble, but to prevent getting billed for unauthorized
> calls. I am sure this could be alleviated by ATT by defining a class
> of service for designated subscriber numbers, that disallow calls
> without third-party billing. (I think there is enough processing power
> in the POP to manage this).

There ARE standard types of screening available that only allow calls
to be billed to credit cards, third party or collect, but NEVER to the
calling line. This kind of screening typically allows 1+ dialing
anywhere, but kicks in on 0+ because local call accounting equipment
can't tell what service the operator will be asked to provide. This
sort of screening comes in several variations and has been available
for a LONG time.

This whole mess the hotels were fighting could have been simplified IF
the LECs would have provided a modification to that standard screening
that would do the following. As before, 1+ could do anything. 0+ would
go to the presubscribed IXC and be screened. 10xxx1+ would be blocked
because the hotel customer has NO business rerouting 1+ calls. 10xxx0+
calls would be screened and would be allowed only to IXCs that honored
the screening class mark. I assume the FCC should tolerate blocking
calls to IXCs not honoring the screening. The hotel's modifications
would be minimal.