[comp.dcom.telecom] Massachusetts Enhanced 911 Payment Scheme

dgp0@bunny.gte.com (Dennis Pratt) (01/23/91)

In article <16189@accuvax.nwu.edu> Wes.Williams@f39.n382.z1.
fidonet.org (Wes Williams) writes:

> For those of you unaware, MA has recently passed a State law to bring
> this into active state wide use over the next few years, where only
> some cities have been previously served by nonenhanced 911.

I have found it interesting that there has been little discussion of
NYNEX's political success pushing the payment of Enhanced 911 onto
Directories Assistance users.

Enhanced 911 is an important system; it allows police to identify
where the call is coming from and it allows correct routing of the
call to the emergency unit most able geographically to respond.

Where I have a bone to pick is the proposed method of charging for
E-911.  Instead of charging the 911 caller, (allowing users of the
system to directly pay for the increased functionality), NYNEX has
convinced the politicians to have non-users of 911, specifically 411
users, pay for this system.

I haven't heard what happens if the revenues generated by
over-charging 411 users is greater than the costs of E-911.  My guess
is that NYNEX has adequate accounting proceedures to ensure there will
be no excess.  I further fear this is simply a wedge with which NYNEX
can add on additional charges to Directory Assistance (basically
rewarding them for keeping their White Pages out-of-date.)

If an E-911 call cost $5 - $10, I do not believe that would stop
people from using the system. I'm not clear why the politicians want
to hide the costs of this service.  Other alternative payment schemes
are possible.  Take directly out of taxes.  Take up a state-wide
collection for this worthwhile charity.  Provide "income assistance"
for those who use E-911 but who cannot pay the higher price of the
enhanced service.  But why tax Directory users to transfer the money
to E-911 users?

What I do not like is the separation of the user and the payment.  I
guess I do not trust either NYNEX or MA politicians.  But given recent
history, should I?

Dennis Pratt

Disclaimer: My company doesn't know anything about this.

ted@blia.sharebase.com (Ted Marshall) (01/25/91)

In article <16341@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dgp0@bunny.gte.com (Dennis Pratt)
writes:

> Where I have a bone to pick is the proposed method of charging for
> E-911.  Instead of charging the 911 caller, (allowing users of the
> system to directly pay for the increased functionality), NYNEX has
> convinced the politicians to have non-users of 911, specifically 411
> users, pay for this system.

I believe that most area do some sort of ganeral charge for 911
procurement and support. Most areas, including No. California, put a
general surcharge on the phone bills. I hadn't heard of a 411
surcharge.

> If an E-911 call cost $5 - $10, I do not believe that would stop
> people from using the system. [...]

I disagree. If I look out my window and see a fire across the street
and I know that I'll get charged $5.00 for calling 911, I'll call the
fire department directly or figure that someone else will call it in.
911 should be designed so that if you are reporting what truly looks
like an emergency, you have no reason not to call it in.

Ted Marshall                                       ted@airplane.sharebase.com
ShareBase Corp., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000
The opinions expressed above are those of the poster and not his employer.

[Moderator's Note: That was precisely the argument made here when
there was discussion of who should pay for 911 service. The City of
Chicago took the position that nothing should stand in the way of
someone making a legitimate call for emergency help; and certainly not
the fear that they would not be able to pay for it later.   PAT]

peterm@sumax.seattleu.edu (Peter Marshall) (01/25/91)

Dennis Pratt's 1/22 post on financing statewide E911 in MA presents
some interesting questions that are likely not limited to the MA
example. At the same time, this look at experience in one state does
not address other issues in E911 statewide system development that
have been noticed in other states.

To what extent are states moving in a similar direction? What issues
or problems have been observed? What is the magnitude of "going
statewide" at present? What might account for common patterns on a
national level?

Peter Marshall

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (01/26/91)

In article <16377@accuvax.nwu.edu>, halcyon!peterm@sumax.seattleu.edu
(Peter Marshall) writes:

> To what extent are states moving in a similar direction? What issues
> or problems have been observed? What is the magnitude of "going
> statewide" at present? What might account for common patterns on a
> national level?

In New Jersey, for reasons never explained to me, the 7% state sales
tax did not apply to telephones.  As of three years ago, it suddenly
did.  The state justified taxing telephones by stating that the
revenue derived from this tax would finance the state-wide
implementation of E911 service.

Like the Massachusetts directory assistance charge, this causes all
telephone users (really, all telephone owners) to subsidize the
emergency service.  Is this fair?  A visitor from out of state who
never bought a telephone in New Jersey may still call 911 from a
public telephone in the state.  But somehow, I prefer not to have to
worry about payment (finding coins, etc) in a time of emergency.

Directory assistance is (and was already) charged for, so that's
going somewhere else.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900	Fax: 908 647 6857