[comp.dcom.telecom] MA 911 Payment Scheme - Sounds Like Business Opportunity

herrickd@uunet.uu.net (CONTR HERRICK, DAN) (01/27/91)

dgp0@bunny.gte.com (Dennis Pratt) writes:

>Instead of charging the 911 caller, (allowing users of the
>system to directly pay for the increased functionality), NYNEX has
>convinced the politicians to have non-users of 911, specifically 411
>users, pay for this system.

If they are going to price directory service out of reach, someone
should offer a $0.40 per minute (or maybe .50) 900 directory
information service.

It should be possible to base the operation in a state other than
Massachusetts, thus staying out of the reach of the Massachusetts
regulators, and offer nationwide directory service, again staying out
of the reach of Massachusetts regulators, but advertise more heavily
in Massachusetts to get it started.

It would require cutting a deal with the operators of that data base
accessible through COMPUSERV that provides all the directories of the
US online.

Directory service prices from the various telephone companies are
going up.  It should be possible to start this service in a kitchen
with one operator serving one phone line.  As the demand increases,
add servers.  Thus, most of the up-front expenses are initial
advertising.  Start with a daily ad in the Boston Globe, one column
inch.  Pyramid it from there.

Anyone want to see if we can make this work?

dan herrick    Aricol Communications   POBox 1419   Mentor, Ohio 44061
(216)974-9637        herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

[Moderator's Note: You'd have to price it much higher. If you were
using CIS, they get regular connect rates plus 25 cents per minute
surcharge for that service. You'd pay 30 cents or more to the provider
of the 900 line. The similar service doing reverse lookups is getting
about $1.50 per minute I think.  No one would pay that much for your
service.   PAT]