[comp.dcom.telecom] Device Given to me With "Data Lines"

tel@cdsdb1.att.com (01/23/91)

Any time we order a "Data Line" for our computers here, we are given a
device to put inline between the modem and the phone jack.  It is a
box about 4 X 2 X 1 inches, has one two-pair modular cord to plug into
the phone jack, and one modular outlet that the modem plugs into.  It
also has a switch labeled FLL and PROG.

There is a label on the box that reads exactly as follows:

Armiger & Associates, Inc.
Fort Worth Texas USA
Data Conn. Blk. Model No. AS-97A (1-9)
For use as USOC RJ-
41S-M, 42S-M, 43S-M,
RTC=41S & 36X (AA-97A & 635A)
Complies with Part 68, FCC Rules

My question is: What is this box, what does it do, and what do FLL and
PROG stand for?  Anytime I ask the techs what they are for, they have
no idea.  They are just told to give them to the customer.

I am told that NJ Bell charges an arm and a leg for these boxes.  Is
that just a ploy to make money or are they useful?

Thanks for any responses.

Tom Lowe   AT&T Bell Labs   Holmdel NJ  tel@hound.ATT.COM   908-949-0428

syd@dsi.com (Syd Weinstein) (01/24/91)

tel@cdsdb1.att.com writes:

>Any time we order a "Data Line" for our computers here, we are given a
>device to put inline between the modem and the phone jack.  It is a
>box about 4 X 2 X 1 inches, has one two-pair modular cord to plug into
>the phone jack, and one modular outlet that the modem plugs into.  It
>also has a switch labeled FLL and PROG.

>My question is: What is this box, what does it do, and what do FLL and
>PROG stand for?  Anytime I ask the techs what they are for, they have
>no idea.  They are just told to give them to the customer.

The box is a two wire to eight wire adapter.  Now don't panic, it
doesn't touch the two wires themselves, but adds some other signals.

It leaves tip, ring, A and A-1 alone (the center four).  It does add a
programming resistor -- more in a second -- and a pad optionally to
the loop.

In a true data circuit, you want the outgoing carrier to arrive at the
CO at -10dbm.  However, the loss in your loop varies by condition,
length, and other factors.  What the traditional modems did was output
their signal at a higher level, and have the phone company measure the
loss in the line and add a pad.

The RJ-42,3,4,5 series eight wire jacks offer this ability by coming
in flavors (values of the pad) to match possible line losses.  These
flavors have a resistor that an appropriate modem can use to adjust
its output to the correct value to get the best signal at the CO.

This is the PROG position.  No pad is placed on the line itself, and
the modem does the work via a resistor on two of the unused positions.

In the FLL, or Fixed Loss Loop, position, a pad is placed to drop the
output volume by a fixed amount, and the line is not measured.

I have Bell of PA put these on all our modem lines, and they call them
RJ45's.  Note there are other ways of wiring the boxes, and then they
have different numbers, but all the same purpose.  Other numbers
indicate if they support exclusion key wiring, automatic jumpering,
etc.

Are they worth it?  Most interactive modems don't use them, if your
modem has a four wire (six positions, four used) mod plug, it doesn't
use them.  If the modem has an eight wire modular plug, it probably
does.

However, some modems are loud on purpose, to compensate for long loops
and the loss.  These sometimes need a pad, and the FLL position
provides that.

However, what I like better, is if you have Bell of PA put this jack
in, the line is assigned a 3NDDA number (3NDDA XXX-XXXX where x's are
the phone number) Then you get Data Repair service to call instead of
the usual repair service, (Yea, no more is the line ok questions, just
a knowledgable person on a test board actually answering the phone)
and here in Phila, a two hour response time guarantee. (And I mean
that 24 hours a day. I have gotten things fixed at 3 AM).  And all of
that for no more per month that without the jack, only a one time
charge up front.  And that charge, here, used to be reasonable.  I
haven't done it in a while, but it was about twice the charge without
the special jack.

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP Elm Coordinator Datacomp Systems, Inc.
Voice: (215) 947-9900 syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd FAX: (215) 938-0235

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (01/25/91)

In article <16347@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>My question is: What is this box, what does it do, and what do FLL and
>PROG stand for?  Anytime I ask the techs what they are for, they have
>no idea.  They are just told to give them to the customer.

>I am told that NJ Bell charges an arm and a leg for these boxes.  Is
>that just a ploy to make money or are they useful?

They are useful in some circumstances.  The signal loss from the CO to
the customer premises varies a lot depending on the distance,
condition of the wire and such.  Some data communication equipment,
particularly older stuff, depends on knowing the amount of the signal
loss.

There are two ways to handle this: Fixed Loss Loop (FLL) puts a PAD
circuit in the connector block to make the total loss between 8 and 9
DB.  The installer measures the loss from the CO (by calling a test
number that produces a known signal) which is usually less than 8 dB
and puts in a block with an appropriate PAD to bring the total loss up
to spec.  Programmable (P or PROG) puts a resistor into the connector
block whose value depends on the measured loss.  The resistor is not
directly connected to the phone line but is connected to pins PR and
PC (7 and 8) of the jack for the use of a PAD in the equipment plugged
into it.  The FLL/PROG switch unhooks the connector block PAD in PROG
mode, since equipment that uses the programming resistor doesn't want
its signal pre-attenuated.

When the jack has both FLL and PROG with a switch, it's called an
RJ41S.  With the programming resistor only, it's a RJ45S.  With
various obsolescent arrangements that involve a telephone with a DATA
button, its an RJ42S, RJ43S, RJ46S, or RJ47S.  These are all the same
physical data jack, but wired in different ways.

If you are using something like a V.32 or Telebit modem, the data line
is overkill since these modems have their own compensating circuits.
Also, be sure that the installers are measuring the loss and setting
the PAD and programming resistor appropriately.  If they aren't, the
jack is no better than a regular voice RJ-11 and, in all likelihood,
the signal quality on the line isn't any better than a POTS line,
either.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/25/91)

> Any time we order a "Data Line" for our computers here, we are given a
> device to put inline between the modem and the phone jack [...] It also
> has a switch labeled FLL and PROG.  There is a label on the box that
> reads exactly as follows:

> For use as USOC RJ-
> 41S-M, 42S-M, 43S-M,
> RTC=41S & 36X (AA-97A & 635A)

	Personally, I think it's a crock, but anyway, here's what it
all means.  FLL is Fixed Loss Loop and PROG is for Programmed Loss
Loop.  What all that means is that you have a loop of copper wire
running from the central office (CO) to your jack.  Depending on the
length of the loop (i.e. the distance from your building to the CO)
the resistance, and hence the loop loss, will vary.  In the programmed
mode, inside the little box is a resistor which is used to compensate
for the loop loss; the box should have come with a little package of
fixed resistors; the tech who installed the box was supposed to have
measured the loop loss and installed the proper resistor based on the
results of his measurement.

	USOC is just an acronym which stands for Universal Service
Ordering Code.  It's telephone-speak for "part number", more or less.
All of the RJ-4X-Y jacks are variations on an 8-pin data jack.
According to the documentation I have, "Data configurations use jacks
which incorporate components to limit signal power levels of data
equipment.  Data equipment with a maximum signal power output of -9dBm
are not limited to data configurations."; I interpret that last part
as "any modem you buy today can just be plugged into a plain old
ordinary RJ-11 voice jack".

	I have the wiring diagrams for both the RJ-41S and RJ-41M
jacks in front of me right now and can't find any differences; both
have tip and ring on pins 4/5 (prog mode) and also on pins 1/2 under
control of a switch and through what's called a "Pad" (FLL mode), and
the programming resistor on pins 7/8; the resistor has no internal
connections; I guess it's up to whatever is plugged into the jack to
put it in series with some part of the modem circuitry if it wants.
The note on the 41M says it's for use in multiple installations, but I
don't see how it's any different from the 41S.  A RJ-36X is a fancy
jack with shorting bars, apparantly used for putting multiple
series-connected modems on a single line; if you unplug the plug, the
shorting bars just pass the signal through the jack, but somehow I'd
be surprised if that's what you really have.

	The bottom line is that if you are using any sort of standard
off-the-shelf dialup modem (212A, V.22bis, PEP, HST, etc, etc, etc)
you don't need the fancy RJ-4X jack; just have them put in a plain old
RJ-11 voice jack and that's it.  Even better, don't even tell the
installer that it's a data line, that usually just gets them confused.
Come to think of it, even our four-wire LAD circuits that we run 128 kbps
over using special leased-line modems are terminated in plain old
RJ-11's (although, they probably have some other RJ code in that
case).

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy

Barton.Bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (01/25/91)

In article <16347@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tel@cdsdb1.att.com writes:

> Any time we order a "Data Line" for our computers here, we are given a
> device to put inline between the modem and the phone jack.  It is a
> box about 4 X 2 X 1 inches, has one two-pair modular cord to plug into
> My question is: What is this box, what does it do, and what do FLL and
> PROG stand for?  Anytime I ask the techs what they are for, they have

> Tom Lowe   AT&T Bell Labs   Holmdel NJ  tel@hound.ATT.COM   908-949-0428
                  ^^^^^^^^^

A user will now tell how the Bell System and FCC set this mess up.

Arminger and others like Suttle are all licensed by YOUR company to
produce such devices. You will find corresponding WE-xxx numbers for
your products that they make with AA-xxx numbers and Suttle has SE-xxx
ones, too. Arminger is heavier into data related special jacks then
Suttle.

Anyway, this has lots of history that I will partly skip, but the
simple part of it is that modems are not supposed to hit the CO with a
signal hotter than -12dbm. Originally modems all were from the phone
company, and THEY set the xmit level internally with dip switches.
When users were finally allowed to plug in modems, a way was devised
to let the jack set the signal level.

Any modem worth its salt today can receive signals that my bad ears
can barely hear. But when this was planned, there was a scheme devised
whereby the installing phone company could install a data jack that
would program the transmit signal level for a modem with an external
resistor the installer would select supposedly after determining the
loop loss to the CO. That is your PROG switch position.

Some modems were assumed to be too dumb to be programmed, and you
could run with a fixed pad that killed some signal level for BOTH
transmit and receive. They were assumed to xmit at -4dbm, and the pad
would cut the level to what was needed. The transmit side of this was
cut to 'protect' the network, but padding the receive side was/is
totally STUPID.

There is a third option the modems have and that is 'permissive' mode.
It is assumed that there will be at least 3db loss on a CO line, and
so any modem is 'permitted' to transmit at a fixed -9dbm (to hit the
CO at no higher than -12dbm). Permissive mode is what all normal
modems pluging into RJ11 jacks are using.

I never saw a modem ordered or equipped for FLL (fixed loss loop)
operation, but there were specs on how to do it. Some of the old
modems came with instructions for the telco to set the levels
internally, or you set them for 0 dbm internally and used a special
cord for the external PROG or FLL or PERM jack setup. If you had loss
set inside and externally you would have too much. Typically the
adapter cord to make a programmable modem a FLL one included the 866
ohm resistor for -4dbm needed in FLL mode, and the adapter cord for
permissive mode included the 5490 ohm resistor needed to transmit at
-9dbm. The cord for programmable mode simply connected the resistor in
the jack to the modem.

Your jack with cord, etc is probably Arminger's AA-330A Universal Data
Station Adapter. The center two wires from the RJ11 cord go to the
center two of the eight-wire data jack, so any RJ11 modem plugged into
this could as well be just plugged in without this. Pins 1 + 2 go to
the internal PAD and then to incoming T + R via that switch when
thrown to FLL position. The resistor for PROG mode is across 7 + 8.
This adapter's resistor is set for -9dbm, and the unit effectively
converts OLD FASHION FLL or PROG mode modems into PERmissive ones and
is an FCC registered device (APZ9P9-67263-AD-N the Ren is 0.0B in
PROG, and the PAD makes Ren = 2.5B in FLL mode).

On telco installed data jacks, I have NEVER seen different resistors
installed whether the jack is near the CO or miles from it. The
installers always put in just one value.

In the real world now, NO ONE needs this nonsense. If you have OLD
modems that need this, maybe buy an eight-wire jack and stick your OWN
resistor in and run in programmed mode set for -9dbm (i.e. run it in
permissive mode). Certainly don't BUY this sort of over priced factory
nonsense adapter.

New modems will run in permissive mode and that is fine. Use RJ11
jacks. In some areas you seem to need to order a data jack just to get
a data quality line. Then get an RJ45S (the programmable jack with out
the FLL switch - but they may 'provide' it by giving you the universal
model that HAS the switch). The RJ41S function DOES include the FLL
Pad, and typically is provided by an AA-97A (1-9) (that 1-9 is for
loop loss of 1 to 9 dbs - each number you order comes with a different
resistor and pad) and nine different order numbers!, and costs about
$18. The AA-97B only does RJ45S (PROG) function (no FLL switch) and
comes with eight resistors (one order #) and costs about the same.
Those two are the same size box, but a newer jack that looks like a
fat RJ11, but also takes the eight wire plugs is the AA-97B1. It also
comes with the kit of eight resistors (NO resistor is used for the
highest loss setting) and costs about $8. The same jack bought as a
generic JACK is under $4, and you can get the resistor for -9dbm xmit
(the 3db loop loss resistor) for pennies elsewhere. Use 5,490 (or near
that) ohms.

If you are stuck with telco installed FLL switches, TAPE them into the
PROG position. NEVER use FLL, it is a dumb and obsolete idea. Remember
any normal (permissive) modem plugs into an RJ11, but also works fine
in the eight-wire jacks but hardly needs them.

History lesson:

xmit level	resistor	loop loss range

 0		(short)		12 or more db
-1		150 ohm		11-12
-2		336		10-11
-3		562		9-10
-4		866		8-9
-5		1,240		7-8
-6		1,780		6-7
-7		2,520		5-6
-8		3,610		4-5
-9		5,490		3-4
-10		9,200		2-3
-11		19,800		1-2
-12		(open)		0-1

Personally, I get data lines in on RJ21X jacks mixed in with general
phone lines. The 25 pairs there come out on the AMP connector and go
to MY-OWN CO quality 3 electrode gas tube + diodes lightning
protection (I like Porta System's Delta series, but NTI/Cook, AT&T,
and Reliable all make this sort of thing), and then it goes to modular
patch or 66 punch and then to internal voice or data or whatever we
need on OUR wires. Modems plug into RJ11 jacks. Period.

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (01/25/91)

I have a two-year old message sent out to AT&T sales regarding the
proper termination for analog data lines.  According to this message,
"The JM8 is intended to be the standard termination for analog data
services."  I've also heard the JM8 described as an 'eight-pin
mini-modular jack'.

An accompanying list shows all the RBOCs accepting specification of
"JM8" or "8MMJ". Some of the other independents - Centel, GTE, and
Southern New England Tel - were still using the 42A Connect Block.
This is apparently an older standard, and since the message is so old,
they may well have changed since then.

As a telemarketing type, I don't get to go out and see my customers.
(They're mostly 500-600 miles away!)  But I'm told that Bell South
installers usually terminate analog dedicated circuits in a device
called a 'Teleport', which provides the JM8 as well as some other
options.

Jack Dominey
AT&T Commercial Marketing, Tucker, GA | 800-241-4285 | AT&T Mail !dominey

William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org (William Degnan) (01/27/91)

On <Jan 23 15:58> Tom Lowe writes:

> Any time we order a "Data Line" for our computers here, we are
> given a device to put inline between the modem and the phone jack.  It is
> a box about 4 X 2 X 1 inches, has one two-pair modular cord to plug
> into the phone jack...

> Armiger & Associates, Inc.  Fort Worth Texas USA
> Data Conn. Blk. Model No. AS-97A (1-9)  Use as USOC RJ-41S-M, 42S-M, 43S-M,
> RTC=41S & 36X (AA-97A & 635A)  Complies with Part 68, FCC Rules

> My question is: What is this box, what does it do,

You have answered your own questions. It is an AS-97A (1-9) [actually
what you describe is an AA-97A (1-9)-RTC1]. It is for use as an
RJ41S-M, etc.

> and what do FLL and PROG stand for?

Why Fixed Loop Loss or PROGrammable.

> Anytime I ask the techs what they are for, they have no idea.

Would they know if you _didn't_ ask them?

Next time you can tell them that it is essentially the AA-97A-RTC
connector, with the FLL/PROG switch located on the outside and a one
foot, four-conductor line cord which is connected to the network side.

The AA-97A-RTC is a data connecting block arrangement that includes an
eight-position modular jack for the registered data connection and an
eight-position series modular jack for a modular jack for a modular
connection to other data interface equipment.

See your modem manual for the manufacturer's recommendation for FLL vs. PROG.

> I am told that NJ Bell charges an arm and a leg for these boxes.

Is there something for which NJB _doesn't_ charge an arm and a leg?

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock.
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com
Communications Network Solutions | !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
 -Independent Consultants        | William.Degnan@telemail.com
   in Telecommunications         | UUCP: ...!natinst!tqc!39!William.Degnan
P.O. Drawer 9530                 | ARPA: William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.FidoNet.Org
Austin, TX 78766-9530            | Voice +1 512 323 9383