[comp.dcom.telecom] Videos By Phone

djcl@contact.uucp (woody) (01/23/91)

A recent article from the Reuters news service mentioned a company
called Explore Technology Inc. which apparently is about to deliver
the first video-on-demand service, Instant Video. This product was
demonstrated at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Reportedly, the technology can transmit a two hour movie over phone
lines in fifteen seconds to thousands of destinations. That must be
something like 20-40 gigabits/s transmission (and to think people get
excited over such primitive toys as ISDN or mere 56 kb/s stuff :->).
Or perhaps they mean that the movie itself is transmitted real-time,
but the ordering of the movie only takes 15 seconds. A receiver would
store the movie for playback when the customer wishes.

The system could be on the market as early as 1995.

esupg@cu.warwick.ac.uk (barj) (01/25/91)

In article <16348@accuvax.nwu.edu> djcl@contact.uucp (woody) writes:

> Reportedly, the technology can transmit a two hour movie over phone
> lines in fifteen seconds to thousands of destinations. That must be
> something like 20-40 gigabits/s transmission (and to think people get
> excited over such primitive toys as ISDN or mere 56 kb/s stuff :->).

If this is the case, you're going to need well over 300,000 telephones.
And a mailman who will be prepared to deliver the 3500+ bills a day. :-)

The Sonet/SDH intercontinental level is only going to use a bit-rate
of 2.4Gbps and I doubt that _that_ will be anywhere near the market
place by 1995.

>Or perhaps they mean that the movie itself is transmitted real-time,

Well I recently saw a audio/video link of an ISDN 64kbps link. Using
some neat compression techniques, the quality was good - but not good
enough to watch a movie. Anyway, if it takes two hours, isn't your phone
bill going to be huge?  You may as well rent the video ...

All I can think is that it is some sort of order-by-phone cable
service.  Although I would be interested to be proven wrong.

esupg@uk.ac.warwick.cu
Andrew     University of Warwick, Coventry, UK.
Bargery    154 Brunswick St, Leamington, CV31 2ER, UK.
           vox : +44 926 881264

DISCLAIMER: I am doubting Reuters, not the poster...

rv01@gte.com (Robert Virzi) (01/25/91)

In article <16348@accuvax.nwu.edu> djcl@contact.uucp (woody) writes:

> Reportedly, the technology can transmit a two hour movie over phone
> lines in fifteen seconds to thousands of destinations. That must be
> something like 20-40 gigabits/s transmission (and to think people get
> excited over such primitive toys as ISDN or mere 56 kb/s stuff :->).

I called Explore Technology and they sent me out a fairly uniformative
fax.  They *do* claim to be able to send a two hour movie in fifteen
seconds, but they are unclear as to the technology involved.  They
seem to be claiming this rate is possible over fiber, coax, and
satellite links, not twisted pair.  The technology does not use
"cassette catridges", so some other form of local storage is required.
They mention something called an "Instant Video Reciever", so the
download is not to tape format.

Some speculations.  They are using compression technology and possibly
(as some folks around here believe) a board set that allows storage
and decompression.  They are not very willing to give information
without a non-disclosure agreement.  Apparently they have legal staff.

If anyone else wants to try, the phone number and address of the
company is:

Explore Technology Inc
7950 E. Acoma Dr.
Suite 211
Scottsdale, AZ  85260

(602) 991-3224

Apparently the techies there are Richard Lang and Peter Spiess, among
others.  If anyone else finds out more about what it is they do,
please keep me posted eitehr through the net or email.

Bob Virzi    rv01@gte.com

dgp0@bunny.gte.com (Dennis Pratt) (01/26/91)

In article <16348@accuvax.nwu.edu> djcl@contact.uucp (woody) writes:

> Explore Technology Inc. which apparently is about to deliver
> the first video-on-demand service, Instant Video. This product was
> demonstrated at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas
> technology can transmit a two hour movie over phone
> lines in fifteen seconds to thousands of destinations

I went to the Consumer Electronics Show.  I passed by the Explore
booth, but did not notice their system.  The Winter CES Official
Directory does not list their "Instant Video Receiver" or their
"Instant Video Transceiver" products as part of their product line.  A
review of all the seven daily trade magazines that wrote about many of
the highlights of the show and that were distributed free at the show
does not mention Explore or its outstanding achievements at all.

Explore's press release has relatively little information.  Instead it
is filled with adjectives such as "unprecendented", "revolutionary",
"graduated from science fiction to world of today", "like something
born of the 25th-century technology protrayed by the television series
'Star Trek'", "significant benefits", blah, blah, blah.

They contend their 'technology' will enable video on demand.  They
also talk about their "*patented* Instant Video system" yet will not
talk without non-disclosure.

Their speed contention is that "an IVR connected to a *high-capacity*
transmission line using Instant Video technology would receive a
two-hour motion picture in approximately 15 seconds."

My guess is that all we have here is a typical video compression
algorithm hidden by a bunch of sales hype and exaggerated by fiber.

Their number, if you want to confirm this, is 602-991-3224.  Richard
Lang is "CEO".  If they aren't just hyping, I'll buy their stock for
sure.

Dennis Pratt
Disclaimer:  My company doesn't know about any of this ever.

barefoot@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Heath Roberts) (01/26/91)

In article <16392@accuvax.nwu.edu> esupg@cu.warwick.ac.uk (barj) writes:

>> Reportedly, the technology can transmit a two hour movie over phone
>> lines in fifteen seconds to thousands of destinations.

>If this is the case, you're going to need well over 300,000 telephones.
>And a mailman who will be prepared to deliver the 3500+ bills a day. :-)

>The Sonet/SDH intercontinental level is only going to use a bit-rate
>of 2.4Gbps and I doubt that _that_ will be anywhere near the market
>place by 1995.

Full motion video takes about ten to fifteen megabits per second of
bandwidth. Northern Telecom has 2.4Gb and 4.8Gb units on the market,
and higher-rate units working that have to be field-packaged (I can't
say any more specifics).

This kind of system (selectable video program) has been demonstrated
by Northern Telecom at a retirement community in Florida, and is part
of Fiberworld. It does require fiber optic cable to the customer
premises, and right now such service probably wouldn't be allowed by
regulatory agencies, but it is coming. At least technically.

The service the writer above mentioned is probably a movie-ordering
system. You call a number to see a given movie, the cable TV company
gets your number, maps it to the appropriate video box number, and
tells your decoder to let you watch the movie. The difference is that
your LEC is NOT providing the video, only subscriber information to
the cable franchise. This has been tariffed in a few states already.

Heath Roberts
NCSU Computer and Technologies Theme Program
barefoot@catt.ncsu.edu

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (01/28/91)

> Reportedly, the technology can transmit a two hour movie over phone
> lines in fifteen seconds to thousands of destinations. That must be
> something like 20-40 gigabits/s transmission (and to think people get
> excited over such primitive toys as ISDN or mere 56 kb/s stuff :->).

Begin back-of-the-envelope mode...

Let's see, assuming they're using something like JPEG and a moderate
resolution video signal (640x400x12 bits). That's 380K per frame, 30
frames per second, and the high side of 20:1 compression ratio. Give
them 30:1 to make the calculations easy. About 2.5 gigabytes in 15
seconds, or a little over 1 gigabit/second. You couldn't do it over
ethernet. You'd have to run fiber into each house...

Hey, if they pay for the fiber it sounds like a good deal. :->

(peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)