[comp.dcom.telecom] Bonehead 611 Message-Takers

TERRY@spcvxa.bitnet (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (01/28/91)

In article <16470@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick
Sayer) writes:

> I can understand the delay if a backhoe rips out my loop.  But that's
> not the case. Clearly they could at LEAST run a computer check of the
> local switch. If I could talk to someone with some technical savvy, I
> could give them the symptoms as I describe above and they'd at least
> know where NOT to look, right? Is there nothing for us comp.dcom.telecom
> readers to do but deal with 611 like "the rest of the world?" Sheesh.

  Well, it depends on how friendly you are with your local phone
company, or how big a customer you are. I have a 24-hour number for
the maintenance group for our switch (since the same facility houses
some 50-60K lines they have 24-hour coverage) as well as 9-to-5 number
for the person who handles the program issues on the switch. These
were cheerfully provided to me when I asked, your mileage may vary.  8-).

  And your problem isn't that unusual. I could tell you horror stories
about call forwarding foulups in the switch that would make you cringe...

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
        terry@spcvxa.bitnet     St. Peter's College, US
        terry@spcvxa.spc.edu    (201) 915-9381