[comp.dcom.telecom] Telco / Customer Relations

SKASS@drew.bitnet (01/28/91)

Andy Jacobson writes:

> I suggest we all start now making a habit of when talking to a telco
> rep, FIRST, get thier name or operator position number, before

[...]

> If the operator blatantly lies to you about why you can't
> call internationally with your calling card, make hell break loose for
> that operator.

[etc.]

It's easy to want to make hell for someone and hope to have them
fired, but don't forget that these operators may be victims of poor
training and working conditions that don't foster learning from more
experienced employees.  My guess is that most of the employees are
really trying hard in a difficult job.

It might be best (if not as effective) to complain about poor service
without mentioning names, and suggest that training be improved.  As
for something like international call blocking, do you really think
that the subject is part of routine training, or is in a reference
manual anywhere?  I don't.  That doesn't excuse the operator who makes
up an answer, but if he bothers a supervisor to find the answer to
your question, he might garner a mark against him.

Let's complain against lousy service, yes, but let's aim our complaints
at the source of the problem, not just a symptom.

Steve Kass - Math/CS - Drew U - Madison NJ 07940 - 2014083614 - skass@drew.edu