[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI Mail Issues Telex Numbers Automatically

0002293637@mcimail.com (Krislyn Companies) (01/23/91)

Our esteemed Moderator comments ....

>[Moderator's Note: There are numerous services which include telex
>sending and receiving capabilities. Three which come to mind here in
>the USA are MCI Mail, AT&T Mail, and Sprintmail (we used to call it
>Telemail). All three are electronic mail services which will assign a
>telex number to a mailbox on request, and accept outgoing telexes.

Just a small technical correction ... MCI Mail subscribers don't have
to request a telex number - they get one automatically.  It's 650 +
the seven-digit MCI ID.

Paul Wilczynski
Krislyn Computer Services
MCI Mail Agency

0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) (01/26/91)

In addition to MCI Mail automatically providing each E-Mail user an
international Telex number based on their account number, in fairness
to the competition, we should post that AT&T Mail does the same, as, I
believe, does SprintMail.

The difference will occur in what US international Telex carrier the
numbers come from.  That will make a difference in how the overseas
Telex caller must dial to reach them.  If on MCIMail, their number is
on WUI. On ATTMail, it is FTCC Communications, while the former
Easylink is via WUTCo.  I do not know what carrier SprintMail's deal
is with.

Those who want to use this option (needed for receiving only; you can
transmit to international Telex on all, even without a number) will
want to check to find out how to instruct correspondents to call them.

MCI Mail certainly is smartest about this.  They publish the details
in their instruction book.  With the others, expect the incompetence
we so often suffer.  International Telex is unknown to most Americans
including the "sales" and "customer service" people of too many
locations.

wrs@mcshh.hanse.de (Wolfgang R. Schulz) (01/30/91)

0002293637@mcimail.com (Krislyn Companies) writes:

>Just a small technical correction ... MCI Mail subscribers don't have
>to request a telex number - they get one automatically.  It's 650 +
>the seven-digit MCI ID.

And even better: if you are at some odd place where you have no phone
line nor a computer handy, you can access your MCI mailbox through
telex, just dial 6700 or 650-0000000. And there you are.

Wolfgang R. Schulz Hamburg-Germany
wrs@mcshh.hanse.de * wrs@mschh.UUCP * 0002412526@mcimail.com
...unido!mcshh!wrs * No BTX (German Videotex) address anymore