[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller-ID Information Decoding

ers@dataco.uucp (01/28/91)

There has been mention in a few past issues of devices such as
ClassMate which read the Caller-ID info and pass it on to a computer.
I have a Northern Telecom "Maestro" phone which displays incoming
numbers.  If I buy ClassMate, will *both* devices be able to read the
incoming data?

It's worth noting that I am in Canada, in Bell Canada territory.  As
David O'Heare (gandlaf!oheare@uunet.uu.net) mentioned in volume 11,
issue 57, Canada's data is different from the US CLASS data.  So
perhaps the real question is "Will ClassMate work at all?"

Thanks,

Eric R. Skinner                         UUCP: ...!dataco!xgml!ers
Software Exoterica Corporation          Internet: xgml!ers@dataco.UUCP

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (01/29/91)

In article <16494@accuvax.nwu.edu>, xgml!ers@dataco.uucp writes:

> There has been mention in a few past issues of devices such as
> ClassMate which read the Caller-ID info and pass it on to a computer.
> I have a Northern Telecom "Maestro" phone which displays incoming
> numbers.  If I buy ClassMate, will *both* devices be able to read the
> incoming data?

You can connect ClassMate, and your Maestro and other Caller*ID
receiving devices in parallel up to the REN limit for your line.  Each
device is a passive listener, and does not interfere with other
similar devices on the same line.

I don't know whether or not ClassMate will work in Canada.  Perhaps
there is a similar product aimed at the Canadian market?

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

owensa@gbgvm2.iinus1.ibm.com (Alan B. Owens) (01/30/91)

In re TELECOM Digest V11 #75 (item 8):

I have a ClassMate and an LCD display unit on the same line. Both
devices read the incoming data.

I live in Northern Virginia, in Bell Atlantic territory. I don't know
if ClassMate will work in Canada.

Alan B. Owens                 Building 182, Room 3M106
Staff Programmer              800 N. Frederick Avenue
IBM Corporation               Gaithersburg, Md 20879-3395
owensa@gbgvm2.iinus1.ibm.com  301-240-7191