[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T ACUS Service

drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin) (01/21/91)

My school (Case Western Reserve University) is scheduled to use the
AT&T ACUS Service for all long-distance calling beginning at the
beginning of February.  The alleged benefits of the service are:

    -- A private access code for each student (usable from any
       telephone on campus)
    -- Lower rates
    -- A credit limit of $150 (yes, that's listed as a "great
       benefit" of the service)

Obviously AT&T wouldn't say anything about this, so I'm going to ask
fellow net'ters: Does anyone know of any possible "gotchas" with this
service?  Has anyone used it extensively?  I'd like to be prepared for
when it's activated.

Thanks...

David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- RGH Radiology and CWRU Psych./Chem.

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) (01/23/91)

In article <16293@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
says:

>Bill Nickless <nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov> writes:

>> A quiz for TELECOM readers: How do you reach an AT&T operator by way
>> of a 1-800 number?  No 1028800# or 102880# or 0#-"Please connect me to
>> AT&T" responses, please.

>Sorry, you are out of luck. There is no known 800 number, 950 number,
>or even 900 or POTS number that can reach an AT&T operator.

Now I'm going to show my ignorance - what is the position and company
affiliation of the person who answers 1-800-555-1212?

Peter M. Weiss                   | pmw1 @ PSUADMIN  |  vm.psu.edu | psuvm
31 Shields Bldg - PennState Univ.| not affiliated with VM.PSU.EDU | PSUVM
University Park, PA USA 16802

[Moderator's Note: The last I heard, 800-555-1212 was maintained and
operated by Southwestern Bell. The physical location of 'Toll Free
Directory Assistance' was (is?) in southern Illinois in the LATA
covering the St. Louis, MO area. The various other 555-1212 services
are maintained by the BOC serving the area. Independent telcos then
either contract with the BOC to handle their directory calls or else
when you call the answering operator passes you to the independent
telco if they choose to handle their own directory enquiries.   PAT]

wright@ais.org (Carl Wright) (01/31/91)

I may regret this, but I would be pleased to try to get answers about
ACUS from the horse's mouth. They are down the hall from our company
and I can go ask them in person.

Please send your questions direct to me. I will go ask them and send
out the answers in one article.

I can tell you without asking that they are growing quickly. They
lease half the building we are in, are taking most of the new wing
being built for them and in four years they have an option to kick us
out. They also are every aggregator's favorite choice for billing
services, but they refuse to handle all but three aggregators, I
think. The call aggregators want them to do their bill processing
because they can have the AT&T logo on the bills.  The logo makes it
easier to get the bills paid in Accounts Payable departments.

Carl Wright                     | Lynn-Arthur Associates, Inc.
Internet: wright@ais.org        | 2350 Green Rd., #160
Voice: 1 313 995 5590 EST       | Ann Arbor, MI 48105