[comp.dcom.telecom] Telecom*USA 800 Service NOT Available

eddy@jafus.mi.org (Eddy J. Gurney) (02/01/91)

Ahh ... the wonderful problems all these merger create ...

On Monday I called Telecom*USA and ordered Residential 800 service.
Or so I thought.  Apparently the representative with whom I talked was
not aware that they were no longer taking orders for that service, and
today I received a call from them telling me to contact MCI.  Gee, how
nice!

So I called MCI, and as I suspected, the so-called 800 number you are
issued is basically just a shared number among a large number of
customers.  (Anyone know how many?)  They say it is much like a
"calling card", where you dial an 800 number, and after the "bongggg",
enter a four digit code.  (This would allow at least 8000 people to use
the same number, even if they didn't offer codes like "0000", "1111",
etc.)  This is what I was trying to avoid by going with Telecom*USA.

I called Telecom*USA back, and they said there was nothing that could
be done.  The _very_ polite woman explained that that service has not
been available for some time, and said she was sorry that she was
unable to help resolve my problem.  I asked if her supervisor could
approve it, and she said no, that because Telecom*USA merged with MCI,
all requests for any type of service connection had to be routed to
MCI.

So it appears I'm out of luck, unless any readers know of other LDC's
that offer residential 800 service at reasonable rates?  (Preferably
without a shared 800 number.)

I figured it was too good to be true! 8-)

Eddy J. Gurney, N8FPW  --  eddy@jafus.mi.org  --  The Eccentricity Group

[Moderator's Note: That is really a shame. I guess I should consider
myself very lucky I got my numbers from Telecom*USA before they made
the changeover. I agree with you the idea of adding a code to the
number being dialed sounds pretty bogus. My two 800 numbers just ring
straight through to me. Even someone at a rotary dial payphone can use
them with ease. You might ask about 800 numbers from Cable and
Wireless. They offer user-programmable 800 numbers I believe.   PAT]

markh@squirrel.labs.tek.com (Mark C. Henderson) (02/02/91)

In article <16587@accuvax.nwu.edu> eddy@jafus.mi.org (Eddy J. Gurney)
writes:

>Ahh ... the wonderful problems all these merger create ...

>So it appears I'm out of luck, unless any readers know of other LDC's
>that offer residential 800 service at reasonable rates?  (Preferably
>without a shared 800 number.)

US Sprint offers 800 numbers for $10/month + usage billed in six
second increments. This is a real 800 number (not the shared scheme
described above). Note that they also offer the ability to get a
number that can be reached from anywhere in the USA and Canada. I
don't know if MCI's service allows Canadian access.

    Mark C. Henderson, Computer Research Laboratory, Tektronix, Inc.
         MS 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077, U.S.A.
INTERNET: markh@crl.labs.tek.com  (alternate: mchenderson@attmail.com)
Tel: +1 503 627 6280   Fax: +1 503 627 5502    AT&T Mail: !mchenderson

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/02/91)

"Eddy J. Gurney" <eddy@jafus.mi.org> writes:

> So I called MCI, and as I suspected, the so-called 800 number you are
> issued is basically just a shared number among a large number of
> customers.  (Anyone know how many?)  They say it is much like a
> "calling card", where you dial an 800 number, and after the "bongggg",
> enter a four digit code.  (This would allow at least 8000 people to use
> the same number, even if they didn't offer codes like "0000", "1111",
> etc.)  This is what I was trying to avoid by going with Telecom*USA.

You might just want to bite the bullet and get a REAL 800 number (and
forget the "residence" garbage). I have had a REAL 800 number (with
its own pair, etc.) that covers the state of California for about five
years now. It has saved me thousands of dollars over standard rates
and that doesn't include all the "alternative billing" arrangements
that would have otherwise had to be made to call home.

I realize you are not in CA, but there might be a similar arrangement
available where you are. You are limiting yourself considerably when
you shop for "residence" services. Remember, residences can have
business service, but not the other way around. Sometimes for a
particular application, a "business" service might be more suitable
for one's needs.

You must also evaluate YOUR real needs. If you want an 800 number for
toy purposes, it is possible that there would be no plan that would be
"cost-effective". In my case, I put 30 to 40 hours on the line per
month that would just have to be carried some other way if the line
did not exist. There is a real need; therefore it is cost-effective.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !