[comp.dcom.telecom] Voice / TTD Relay Service Instituted in Georgia

arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold Robbins) (01/30/91)

There were two inserts in my bill from Southern Bell yesterday. This
note describes one of them.

Transcribed verbatim:

			GEORGIA RELAY SERVICE

		On December 4, 1990, the Georgia Public Service
	Commision gave approval for a Dual Party Relay System.  This
	system provides telephone communications between deaf and
	hearing/speech-impaired customers who use Telecommunications
	Devices for the Deaf (TDD) and all customers who use standard
	voice telephones.  It will begin operation on April 1, 1991.

		To fund the system, the Commision ordered all telephone
	companies in Georgia to collect a monthly surcharge from their
	customers beginning in January, 1991.  This month's bill includes
	a surcharge labeled "Dual Party Relay System for the Hearing/Speech
	Impaired Surcharge."  The amount of the relay surcharge is seven
	cents per line per month.

        	The Georgia Relay Center will be located in Norcross
	and will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Customers
	can access the relay center using toll-free numbers.

		Toll calls completed thorugh the relay center will be
	billed from originating point to terminating point of the call,
	as though the relay center did not exist, at the intrastate rate
	minus a 25 percent discount.

		For more information on the Georgia Relay Center, please
	call Southern Bell at the following numbers:

			Residence Customers:	780-2355
			Business Customers:	780-2800

The numbers above are in the 404 area code.  I'm posting this just to
provide the information to the Telecom readership.

Arnold Robbins				AudioFAX, Inc.
2000 Powers Ferry Road, #200 / Marietta, GA. 30067
INTERNET: arnold@audiofax.com Phone:   +1 404 933 7612
UUCP:	  emory!audfax!arnold Fax-box: +1 404 618 4581

[Moderator's Note: The other insert in Mr. Robbins' bill discussed the
introduction of Caller*ID in Georgia next month. This insert will be
printed in the next issue of the Digest.   PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/02/91)

Bob Goudreau <goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com> writes:

> What they *don't*
> tell you is that these special numbers are *not* reachable from
> outside of Southern Bell territory (such as my workplace, which is in
> GTE-land).  Trying to dial 1-404-780-2355 from GTE territory
> intercepts after a few rings with a "Your call cannot be completed as
> dialed" message, exactly the same as trying 1-919-780-2355.  I suspect
> that no one outside of Georgia's Southern Bell territory will be able
> to get information about the Georgia Relay Center from the above
> numbers.

For years, Pac*Bell has had numbers reachable by the public of the
form 811-XXXX. These are toll-free and can be used anywhere with
Pac*Bell's territory. For a period, these numbers could not be reached
by any non-Pac*Bell telephone. Gradually, the independents started
making them available from their phones as well. At least GTE and
Contel (soon to be one and the same) did.

However, no area code is used when calling. My local residence
business office is 811-5700. If I wanted to call that number from San
Diego, I would pick up the phone and dial 811-5700 and would then be
connected with the same people in the same office as if I dialed it
from 408 or 415. For this reason, it would seem impossible to reach
these numbers from outside of the state, since none is associated with
a particular NPA.

Anyone from outside CA ever tried one?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: For many years here, 811 was used for hotel/motel
or other institutional accounts with switchboards which had to charge
back calls to individual extensions. 811 reached a long-distance
operator who knew automatically to send back time and charges ASAP via
teletype to the subscriber following each call. (Although usually they
batched the tickets and sent back all results once an hour.) The rest
of us used 211 to reach the same long-distance operator. 811 has been
gone for many years. I just now dialed 811, also 1-811. I got
intercepted locally at that point and told my call could not be
completed as dialed.  PAT]