[comp.dcom.telecom] Telecom*USA 800 Service

eddy@jafus.mi.org (Eddy J. Gurney) (01/29/91)

Hi Patrick!

Just a quick note to let you know that I also called Telecom*USA and
requested an 800 number with them.  They said there is a one-time
$25.00 service charge, and that the rate was $2.75/month.  Calls will
be billed at $0.29/minute during the day and $.2175/minute during the
evening.  This sounds very similar to the numbers you have now, and
cheaper than MCI's personal 800 service, which is $5.00/month and
requires users to enter a "security code" so "you control who calls."
This sounds to me like an excuse to let multiple users share one 800
number. :-)

Like Steve Kile mentioned in an earlier message, it will be a couple of
weeks before service is connected.  I will let you know how things go if
you're interested.

I do have a few other questions though (some of which I forgot to ask
the sales rep.):

One, do you have a lot of problems with people calling your 800 number
who you DON'T want to call?  (e.g., business-oriented telemarketers,
etc, ad infinitum, et al...)  "Distinctive Ringing" is not offered in
my exchange, so I won't know if I get to pay for the call or not. :)

Two, are you listed in 800 information if you have your own 800
number?  If so, can you tell them NOT to list you?  Three, if my line
is busy and someone calls on the 800 number, am I still billed for
their call?

Also, here at Michigan State U, on campus we have AT&T's ACUS as our ONLY
choice for a LD carrier.  So like you, I will be using two different LDCs for
different purposes.

Best regards,

Eddy J. Gurney, N8FPW  --  eddy@jafus.mi.org  --  The Eccentricity Group

[Moderator's Note: Wrong numbers on my two 800 lines are rare. The way
I 'control who calls' is by giving the number to a very select group
of people: my brother and his wife, our parents, friends, etc. I had
the 800 numbers before I had distinctive ringing, with them being
diverted by the Telecom*USA switch into my first line. Once
distinctive ringing started two months ago, I had the 800 numbers set
to dial the distinctive number. *No one* uses the distinctive number
except my brother, his wife or myself when calling home from
elsewhere, *and* 800 calls diverted into it. Therefore the distinctive
ring indicates a call we want to receive and/or control. Telecom*USA
does not bill for incomplete 800 calls. If your line is DA or BY then
there is no charge. You have to actually answer. Distinctive ringing
also has a distinctive call-waiting tone; you can flash, accept the
call, put it on hold or do whatever you can usually do with
call-waiting, but of course you don't want to keep the 800 number on
hold very long if you can help it. 'Return Call' (*69) is not yet able
to return 800 calls, which are simply calls direct dialed to me out of
the Telecom*USA switch. Unlike most phone service where a free
directory listing is the default and a non-pub number is an extra
charge, Telecom*USA 800 numbers are non-pub by default. You can have
it listed in the 800 data-base if desired; I think they charge a few
dollars per month, or whatever SW Bell (SWBT operates 800-555-1212)
charges them.  PAT]

wah@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (01/31/91)

In article <16510@accuvax.nwu.edu> eddy@jafus.mi.org (Eddy J. Gurney)
writes:

>$25.00 service charge, and that the rate was $2.75/month.  Calls will
>be billed at $0.29/minute during the day and $.2175/minute during the
>evening.  This sounds very similar to the numbers you have now, and
>cheaper than MCI's personal 800 service, which is $5.00/month and

MCI's personal 800 number is MUCH cheaper ... no $25 service charge
...  only $2/mo (with Primetime) and .225 a min day and .1083 evenings/
weekends (with Primetime).  Even at the $5/mo rate it would take over
eleven months to make up the difference; and the calls are .25 day and
somewhere around .20/min other times.

[Moderator's Note: One thing I neglected to note originally (or
comment upon yesterday) was that I did not pay any $25 service charge
or set up fee. That must be something new MCI has added since they
took over.   PAT]

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (02/01/91)

Someone had asked about getting wrong numbers to their 800 line.  I
get quite a few.

For a premium, Telecom*USA will sell numbers that spell something.  I
bought one for $100.  Now I get calls all the time of people wanting
to know who answers the phone, or looking for a company of that name.

It all amounts to five to fifteen calls per month at one minute each.
Note that you get the phone number of the caller on your bill, so
abuse would be noticed quickly.

Any disclaimers made for me, by me, or about me - may or may not accurately
reflect my failure to be reflecting the opinions of myself or anyone else.

Brian Jay Gould - Professional Brain-stormer

gaarder@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Gaarder) (02/03/91)

I recall getting a blurb from RCI long distance (an arm of Rochester
Telephone) about some sort of personal 800 service.  Unfortunately, I
don't have it any more, and I don't remember details.  Their number,
if anyone wants to investigate, is 800-836-7000 or 716-777-8000.

yazz@prodnet.la.locus.com (Bob Yazz) (02/03/91)

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:

> Someone had asked about getting wrong numbers to their 800 line.  I
> get quite a few.

> For a premium, Telecom*USA will sell numbers that spell something.  I
> bought one for $100.  Now I get calls all the time of people wanting
> to know who answers the phone, or looking for a company of that name.

I learned the same expensive lesson ($25 signup + $50 for the "vanity"
number 1-800-SCUMBAG) about wrong numbers arriving on my 800 line.

There WAS abuse and it came from all over the country, and almost
always from phone prefixes where the last four digits were marked
"XXXX" on my bill.  Finally disgusted, I forwarded my local phone to
which the 800 number had been routed back to the 800 number itself.
The phone was never answered, should have looped once and then gotten
a busy.  NO such luck; on the final bill (I had asked that the number
be turned off) I got a couple of weeks worth of doubly billed calls.
So, contrary to Pat's experience, I DID get bills for unanswered or
busy calls by Telecom USA.

But when I complained I also mentioned that I had been bothered by
wrong numbers from all over the country -- any call that wasn't from
CA or MA or in one case NJ were wrong numbers.  Amazingly they offered
to removed these calls from my bill!  I truly did not expect this from
an 800 company, but they did it!  It changed my last bill from $49
something to -$4 something; I still haven't gotten a refund check and
it's been months since I switched over to Cable & Wireless's
programmable 800 service.

C&W didn't charge me extra for my new vanity number (which is
decidedly more upbeat than SCUMBAG but which I opt not to publish
here) and they also have Programmability -- you can call their
computer on Its 800 number and tell it where to reroute calls to Your
800 number.  If you sign up now for their very new call detail billing
(where they give you the number that called you on your bill) it's
free.

When I signed up for C&W I knew there would not immediately be call
detail but I did expect each call to be itemized.  It wasn't.  Just
daily summaries of how many minutes the calls lasted.  I was appalled!
I actually have one of those Radio Shack CP-1000 clackety-clack units
that prints every digit you dial and the duration and time and date of
every call received, right down to the number of rings before it was
answered.

Well, when I complained to C&W about the utter inability to verify
that the calls the put on my bill were accurate or not they told me
they'd run a special program to get the info and FED EX it to me for
free!  I was once again amazed!  I told them send it by regular mail,
I could wait the extra days.

I've signed up for the free call detail so I'll start getting
"conventional" 800 bills next month.  BTW, their rates were more like
15 cents a minute, not the 20 something to 29 cents a minute of
Telecom USA.

Happy to report two positive customer service stories.

Bob Yazz --  yazz@lccsd.sd.locus.com

[Moderator's Note: I tried your experiment of forwarding the line my
800 calls come in on back to the 800 number itself. There was one
small difference: my 800 numbers ring via the distinctive ringing
number assigned to my first line. Since I cannot make outgoing calls
on that line I could not actually forward that number; just the actual
first line number. But in my case I had telco set the distinctive
number so it would NOT forward when the first line did. In other
words, you call my first line, it forwards (if set to do so). You call
the distinctive ring number attached to it, and it rings through to
here regardless of forwarding status on the first line itself. With
the first line working normally, I dialed the 800 numbers. Instead of
them going out to Cedar Rapids or wherever then dialing back here on
the distinctive line and giving me the distinctive call-waiting tone
as I expected, the 800 number returned a busy signal, just like
dialing your own number returns a busy signal rather than a
call-waiting tone. This would seem to imply the 800 number does not
supervise, ie, does not charge until someone answers.  PAT]