[comp.dcom.telecom] You Can't Call Anywhere From USA

davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts) (01/29/91)

The Moderator writes:

> . . . the good ole USA allows calls everywhere.

If I remember a previous thread correctly, you can't call Cuba from
the US (with the exception of Guantanamo Bay).

David Barts			Pacer Corporation, Bothell, WA
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!uunet!pilchuck!pacer!davidb

[Moderator's Note: I believe you can call Cuba; but the call cannot be
dialed direct and has to be routed manually by the operator.   PAT]

julian%bongo.UUCP@nosc.mil (Julian Macassey) (01/30/91)

The Moderator Notes, in response to an article:

>If I remember a previous thread correctly, you can't call Cuba from
>the US (with the exception of Guantanamo Bay).

>[Moderator's Note: I believe you can call Cuba; but the call cannot be
>dialed direct and has to be routed manually by the operator.   PAT]

My 1982 Edition of "Telephony's Dictionary" shows a cable between Key
West, Florida and Havana Cuba. The number of circuits is not listed,
but I would guess it is less than fifty. I have no idea when the cable
was laid or whether it is still in use.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@N6YN (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

pc@ctt.ctt.bellcore.com (02/01/91)

In article <16552@accuvax.nwu.edu> julian%bongo.UUCP@nosc.mil (Julian
Macassey) writes:

> My 1982 Edition of "Telephony's Dictionary" shows a cable between Key
> West, Florida and Havana Cuba. The number of circuits is not listed,
> but I would guess it is less than fifty. I have no idea when the cable
> was laid or whether it is still in use.

On a visit to Key West last year, near the red concrete block that
marks "The Southernmost Point in the Continental US", I noticed a
small concrete hut.  I was told that it housed the terminus of a
telephone cable to Havana and was currently unused.  I recall
something about the cable being laid 75 or so years ago.

Peter Clitherow, Bellcore, pc@bellcore.com
444 Hoes Lane, Room 1H-213, Piscataway, NJ 08854-4182 (908) 699-3322

tanner@ki4pv.compu.com (02/01/91)

Calling Cuba may or may not be legal; there was and may still be a
service in Miami which forwards calls.

Paying for the calls is quite illegal, however, under the 'trading
with the enemy' act.  You can not legally pay any money to Cuba.

 ...!{bikini.cis.ufl.edu allegra uunet!cdin-1}!ki4pv!tanner

[Moderator's Note: Very interesting theory, but you are NOT paying
anything to Cuba. You are paying AT&T. *They* are the ones 'trading
with the enemy'.  PAT]

KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard Budd) (02/03/91)

tanner@ki4pv.compu.com writes in TELECOM Digest V11 #83:

>Paying for the calls is quite illegal, however, under the 'trading
>with the enemy' act.  You can not legally pay any money to Cuba.

I don't know about calls to Havanna, but as of January 25, you could
still call Baghdad from the USA.  A guy in the office said he called
and made a reservation at one of the hotels there.

Does that mean he doesn't have to pay for either the call or the
hotel?  (Does CNN have to pay their reporter's hotel bill as well?)  :-)

Richard Budd                 | E-Mail: IBM        - rcbudd@rhqvm19.ibm
VM Systems Programmer        |         All Others - klub@maristb.bitnet
IBM - Sterling Forest        | Phone:               (914)578-3746

IBM and Marist College don't ask me about my opinions, they just let me
play with their computers.

[Moderator's Note: The way I heard the story was that last week
someone placed a prank call to the Sheraton Hotel in Baghdad and asked
for reservations. He asked, "do you have any rooms available?". The
reservations clerk said yes, there were presently rooms available, and
when did he need his reservation?  He told her in about two weeks he
would be wanting to book the entire hotel for an indefinite period.
The reservations clerk asked, "Who is this calling, please?", and the
caller replied "The name is Bush ... George Bush.  I work for the US
Government.  My party will include several thousand people."  It is
not known if the clerk took the caller seriously or not.  :)  PAT]

grabhorn%gandalf.nosc.mil@nosc.mil (Steven W. Grabhorn) (02/04/91)

	The January 7th, '91 issue of {Telephony} contains a two page
article on the Cuban phone system. The article states:

	AT&T, the sole company authorized to handle telephone traffic
between the United States and Cuba, says a miniscule 79 lines connect
south- ern Florida ... to the Caribbean nation of 10.6 million
inhabitants. The reason is plain and simple: Washington's 1962 trade
embargo against Fidel Castro.

	"Approximately 40 million attempts are made to reach the AT&T
operator to place calls to Cuba, of which we complete about 400,000,"
says AT&T's managing director for the Caribbean.

	Despite the absence of diplomatic ties, AT&T will soon
complete an $8-million cable running from West Palm Beach, Fla., to
Cojimar, a town east of Havana. The cable, expected to begin operation
by March, will replace a 1949 cable that has long since decayed, as
well as an obsolete 1957 radio link between Havana and the Florida
Keys.

	"Once we get the cable in service, quality should improve, but
there won't be a substantial change in the number of lines," Cavanagh
told Telephony, adding that the U.S. and Cuba also have signed a new
agreement governing telephone traffic between the two countries. The
treaty, subject to U.S. Treasury approval, was signed June 28 and
replaces a previous agreement that had been in effect for 40 years.

Steve Grabhorn, Code 645, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA, 92152
Phone:619-553-3454 Internet:grabhorn@nosc.mil UUCP:..!sdcsvax!nosc!grabhorn