[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI "Hidden" Charge on Reconnected Calls

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (02/06/91)

reb@ingres.com writes:

> I got disconnected (I think the cordless phone on the other end ran out of
> power). I dialed "00" for the operator - to get reconnected.  Turns out it
> was the MCI operator who told me that she could connect me with the credit
> operator to give me credit for the last 1 minute and to reconnect me.

	This is not a flame.  The point of reb's note was to gripe
about the MCI operator being sly about getting him to put through the
reconnect call at operator assisted rates, but I wonder what the point
of getting the operator involved at all was.  Getting credit for the
last minute of the call is only worth a few cents; it's hardly worth
the time and effort to explain to the operator what went wrong.
Besides, if it was the customer's equipment which caused the
disconnect (as reb suggests), why should the carrier owe you anything
at all?  It's not their fault the call was disconnected, is it?

Roy Smith,   Public Health Research Institute
455 First Avenue,       New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy