[comp.dcom.telecom] Phillipsburg, NJ

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (02/04/91)

In article <16627@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>others.  (Does someone have the dates for 908 becoming useable and for
>the full cutover?)

The 908 area code is usable now, as of Jan 1 I believe.  NJ Bell
advertises about the change over in the local newspapers.  Full
cutover is either June 1 or July 1, I forget.  As the deadline grow
near, I'm sure I'll see some full page adverts.

tcora@pica.army.mil (Tom Coradeschi) (02/05/91)

>I visited Phillipsburg, NJ recently (U.S. 22 and I-78 just across the
>Delaware River from Easton, PA).  Phillipsburg is going into the 908
>area, but I found pay phones displaying 201 in some cases and 908 in
>others.  (Does someone have the dates for 908 becoming useable and for
>the full cutover?)  The Phillipsburg prefixes are 213,454,859; and

908 works right now, and is being given out by DA, appears on phone
bills, etc. It becomes mandatory on 8 Jun 91.

>they are a local call from Easton in 215 area; notice the N1X prefix
>(213), but (quite recently) 215 area began requiring 1+NPA+7D instead
>of 7D for local calls into a different area code.

tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil    <+>    tcora@dacth01.bitnet

[Moderator's Note: These area code changes always take years to get
the payphones properly identified for some reason. The Chicago
suburban area still has payphones whose number tag reads '312'. I
don't think they ever bother to change the number tag. The phones are
in 708 of course.   PAT]

tell@cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (02/06/91)

In article <16695@accuvax.nwu.edu> gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac)
writes:

>In article <16627@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>>others.  (Does someone have the dates for 908 becoming useable and for
>>the full cutover?)

>The 908 area code is usable now, as of January 1 I believe.

It has been active for a lot longer than that; I reprogrammed my
autodialer for parents in NJ as soon as I heard about 908 right here
on the net, probably last March or earlier.  I've used it heavily for
eight months or so.

>NJ Bell advertises about the change over in the local newspapers.

It is discussed in the new 90-91 phone books delivered this past fall.
My parents live right near the boundary, and their phone book has to
list numbers in the white and yellow pages with the full ten digits.
Actually, it only prints 908, and says "201 unless otherwise stated"
in the front and atop many pages.  Most numbers listed in the book are
in fact still in 201.  For those of you keeping track, their number is
in 908-464, which is in the "Surban Essex" phone book.

Sometime this past fall, CNID in that area started delivering 908 where
appropriate.

Steve Tell       tell@.cs.unc.edu   H: +1 919 968 1792   #5L Estes Park apts
CS Grad Student, UNC Chapel Hill.   W: +1 919 962 1845   Carrboro NC 27510